rev limiter kicking in at 6300rpm's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rev limiter kicking in at 6300rpm's?

Ok on the new budget 2.7i my 153 325i ecu had been limiting the engine to only 6300 rpm's before the revlimiter kicks in. I've varified this with my piggyback which has a max sustained rpm function and it shows around 6320 rpm's when it's kicking in. Any ideas as to why it's kicking in early?
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

What does your Tach say or do you still have the eta cluster?

My guess would be is if there is a difference in the crank dampener notches between the M20B25 and the M20B27 that would make the CPS read out a different RPM to the ECU. That or your SAFC is reading the RPMs off a bit.

I would get an "i" cluster if you can and try to verify what the tach reads out there.

Comment

isnt there a little chip you put on the back of the cluster that adjusts the tach deflection so that you read the correct rpm? u hafta change it over, im sure i read it on this forum somewhere. otherwise if u actually think that its only revving at 6300 then get a separate tach like one youd use with a timing light and check wat acutal rpm u r at .

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

you mean the code plug or coding plug in the back of the cluster above poster?
        i wouldnt worry about 20 RPM as thats nothing....6300 and 6320 is the same basically

Comment

6300 is the limit on a stock ECU for an m20b25. if u want more revs, gotta get an aftermarket chip.
          IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

I thought the limit was 6450rpm on stock.

Will
            RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
            Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
            DaveCN = Old Man
            My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
            If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

nope 6300....you can rev up to 7100 before the valve springs float (dual valve springs). They float at around 7250.
              Dont exceed that limit or else say bye bye to the motor.

Comment

I already put an I clusted and chip in it, so it shows just a tad above 6 grand when it kicks in. I'd always heard it was 6500 when it kicked in, but i could be wrong. The piggyback rpm's reading are dead on, idle is right around 700.

Comment

Originally posted by rs4pro3
                  I already put an I clusted and chip in it, so it shows just a tad above 6 grand when it kicks in. I'd always heard it was 6500 when it kicked in, but i could be wrong. The piggyback rpm's reading are dead on, idle is right around 700.
                  umm, are u running an aftermarket ignition with a rev limited? like a msd6aL?
                  IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

no, I have a plasma booster but it doesn't have any sort of limiter.

Comment

Hmm.. I always thought the rev limiter was 6500 RPMs as well.

Comment

i don't think you'll get that much performace at all... unless you have good parts in your head... still, after 6.3k you need to have a huge cf intake, good cam and crazy head to give you more performance.....
                        sigpic

Comment

Hey ely, you need to make sure you wired in the road speed signal to the ecu. I didnt do it for a long time and I threw code 1d forever and maxed out around 6300 although I rarely ever pushed it that far. All I did was run a wire from the ecu pin to the cruise control wire on the back of the cluster (little green clip on the speedo) and that was it, code went away and revlimited up to 6500 or so.
                          Old and improved:

Comment

I wired that in, I ran a wire from the 89 c101 to the 85 style c104 plug under the dash. For that and the fuel rate output function.

Comment

Working...
                            X