AC Compressor Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC Compressor Compatibility

Looking for a new compressor (charged my system up and the compressor started smoking)

Instead of shelling out the $200+ for the new denso unit - 318is - is anything preventing me from buying the following and just slapping my old top plate 'manifold' on?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/d...7344/3896625-P - reman

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/t...358/10053434-P - new

This is the plate from my current compressor (taken from glucklich's DIY thread):

on RockAuto it lists the 4 seasons compressor as a 10PA17C compressor when I select my car from the dropdowns:

The above Advance Auto links show 10PA17C compressors, it just appears they don't have the top plate 'manifold' - however, I have my existing one.

Advance has a killer 30% coupon which would bring it down to $144/$134, much more reasonable.
    1991 318is ---230K - DD
    1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
    so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

You can indeed purchase the nippondenso and swap over your manifold to the new compressor since theyre the same exact model. I do not believe this can be done with the reman. I'm pretty sure the manifold plates are different.
    I don't even own this car anymore, but I'm too lazy to change the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by spike68 View Post
      You can indeed purchase the nippondenso and swap over your manifold to the new compressor since theyre the same exact model. I do not believe this can be done with the reman. I'm pretty sure the manifold plates are different.
      That's what I was thinking, but I'm skeptical if it's actually an r134a compressor. Denso has a different part number for their updated compressor - 471-1117 - that is confirmed as an r134a compressor. That p/n does include the correct top plate manifold, so maybe that's the only reason it has a different part number? I couldn't find any reference to 10PA17C after researching the 471-1117.

Since I'm replacing the compressor anyways, I wanted to go to an r134a vs cleaning an r12 compressor.
      1991 318is ---230K - DD
      1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
      so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Working...
      X