Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noise From Clutch Pedal

Hi All,

Ever since I had the car, I've been getting a rattling noise from the clutch pedal area when I'm accelerating. The sound goes away when I rest my foot on the clutch pedal (not depressing).

Here's a video that shows what's happening : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0J-gxf9mzQ

I tried tightening down the bolt that's at the clutch pedal end of the pedal assembly, but that didn't fix the issue. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks!

Check the pedal box that the clutch and brake pedal attach to it could be loose or cracked.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
      Check the pedal box that the clutch and brake pedal attach to it could be loose or cracked.
      Thank you for the reply. Fortunately, there are no cracks on the pedal box that I can see. The clutch and brake pedal works just fine even with the noise.

I'm coming to a conclusion that it's something within the master cylinder, or a portion of the pedal that interfaces with it. This is because I can't get the noise to stop other than pressing on the clutch pedal.

Is the clutch pedal return assist spring shown above placed inside of the master cylinder? I was wondering if that is loose and rattling (The clutch pedal has a little bit of a play before it actually engages the master cylinder. I don't know if this is normal or not).

Comment

I guess the picture I showed above is a non-airbag pedal assembly. I checked mine out, and that clutch pedal return assist spring was replaced with a skinnier spring that attaches somewhere near the steering column.

No one else had this issue?

Comment

I have this issue now at my clutch pedal. It seems to be a vibration noise at an RPM range. Lightly putting my foot on the clutch pedal stops the noise. So it seems like maybe there is some excessive clearance somewhere that's allowing something to vibrate and make noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Victell View Post
            It seems to be a vibration noise at an RPM range. Lightly putting my foot on the clutch pedal stops the noise.
            Please clarify a bit, if you hold your foot on the side of the clutch pedal (without depressing it), does the noise go away. OR, depressing the pedal a bit makes the noise go away?

If it goes away with a slight depressing of the pedal, I would suspect a throw out bearing. If it goes away with a little pressure sideways, then I would suspect the pedal bushings. But it coming and going at an RPM range suggests throw out bearing to me.

2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Just a touch on the face of the pedal pad stops it. Its a high pitched vibration that can only be heard in the car which indicates its coming from the cabin. I'll put some grease or something on the pedal bushings and see what happens.

Comment

The clutch and brake pedals are on a shaft with bushings, you probably need to replace the bushings, they are cheap. I doubt if the grease will help.
                2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Working...
                X