Help troubleshooting my lock issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help troubleshooting my lock issue?

I'm unable to lock/unlock my vehicle with the key. I took a video of what happens when I use the key.

I was wondering what to try diagnose it but I'm coming up empty handed.

here's a video. I've skipped to the 1:35 mark where it looks like where the issue lies.

Can anyone tell what may not be functioning?

What I've tried. I thought perhaps the actuator was seized. I disconnected it, and it was still the same.

I manually closed the latch on the side of the door to try to mimick the door being closed, and it allows me to lock/unlock by pulling the pin on top of the door, but the key still doesn't work.

I bought this vehicle last year and its been stored since. With spring approaching, I'd like to get everything in tip top shape.
    1991 318is
    F31 328d
    e70 x5d - DPF, DEF, SCR delete.
    135i cab
    F80 M3

anyone?
    1991 318is
    F31 328d
    135i cab
    F80 M3

Comment

From what I can see the problem lies in the latch itself. It looks like the arm that interfaces the lock cylinder is seized up somehow.

The lock cylinder comes out easily with a clip, try removing it and see if you can manually move that arm on the latch. If not, maybe pull the latch out and see if it can be lubed, or if there is anything obviously wrong with it. I've never gone inside one of those latches myself.

If the lock arm on the latch will operate manually with the lock cylinder removed, then you may need to get a lock cylinder rebuild kit, but I don't think the cylinder is the issue.
      sigpic
      1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent Brick View Post
        From what I can see the problem lies in the latch itself. It looks like the arm that interfaces the lock cylinder is seized up somehow.

The lock cylinder comes out easily with a clip, try removing it and see if you can manually move that arm on the latch. If not, maybe pull the latch out and see if it can be lubed, or if there is anything obviously wrong with it. I've never gone inside one of those latches myself.

If the lock arm on the latch will operate manually with the lock cylinder removed, then you may need to get a lock cylinder rebuild kit, but I don't think the cylinder is the issue.
        Thanks! I was actually thinking that as well. I'll take the lock cylinder out and see if I'm able to move that piece. I'll give it a try this weekend!
        1991 318is
        F31 328d
        135i cab
        F80 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent Brick View Post

So I took it out. Looks like my lock cylinder isn't functioning properly.

Replace cylinder?

1991 318is
          F31 328d
          135i cab
          F80 M3

Comment

Yes, get the replacement kit, you'll have to take the old one apart and note the numbers on the plates to set up the replacement it will make it silky smooth again.

Comment

Originally posted by nick_318is View Post
              Yes, get the replacement kit, you'll have to take the old one apart and note the numbers on the plates to set up the replacement it will make it silky smooth again.

Thanks!
              I actually ended up ordering the complete new lock set from ECS. I might also order a repair kit too. See if I can repair this one for now. If not, then I'll swap all the locks over
              1991 318is
              F31 328d
              135i cab
              F80 M3

Comment

sorry, I thought I had updated but apparently I didnt.

Just an update: I replaced the lock cylinder with the ECS one. It locks/unlocks a bit easier but something isn't right. I removed all the rods from inside the door to clean/lube them. It still doesn't appear to work properly. It seems as if something is binding. Possibly the rods? Maybe the door latch. I guess i'll continue throwing parts at it until the problem is resolved.
                1991 318is
                F31 328d
                135i cab
                F80 M3

Comment

in the mean time you should be able to use your trunk latch to lock and unlock all the doors...?
                  there are several good vids on how to change/rebuild lock cylinders on youtube.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  '90 325i sedan daily driven
                  '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Originally posted by cheffy30 View Post
                    in the mean time you should be able to use your trunk latch to lock and unlock all the doors...?
                    there are several good vids on how to change/rebuild lock cylinders on youtube.
                    my central locks don't work. So that won't work :P
                    1991 318is
                    F31 328d
                    135i cab
                    F80 M3

Comment

Working...
                    X