Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ignition switch, remote unlock and steering wheel lock from modern models possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition switch, remote unlock and steering wheel lock from modern models possible?

I was wondering, if it would be possible to upgrade the mentioned to something similar to E90? So, stripping the stuff from wrecked E9x, putting that "key hole" somewhere on the dashboard and powering up with a button?

I am not looking for coded key unlock, just to simulate it, with the option to unlock the steering wheel with pushing the key into the hole? Can be purely mechanical, if possible, or electro-magnetic, idk.

So to sum up, unlocking and starting the E30 like E9x, with same basic hardware, maybe even with same key.

I’ve never been in an e90 but I would think that the better project would be to make the e90 more like an e30.
    My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
    I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

The e30's central locking system is really basic, relay to lock, relay to unlock. The ignition system is also pretty basic, well-detailed in the ETM. The two systems are not connected together at all. You can pretty easily hook up some external control to actuate them (such as remote locking, remote start, or a security system). The steering lock is purely mechanical.

The harder part is going to be getting the e90 bits to function without the rest of the e90, and do what you want. They're integrated into the computer system, with features like locking your doors once you hit a certain speed, anti-theft, etc. You'd also have to make compromises like losing the ability to unlock the driver's door independently, unless you completely rewire the locking actuators. And all of that assumes you find a way to make it fit, physically speaking.

Nothing's impossible, but it's a huge undertaking. Not even slightly worthwhile, in my opinion. The e30's central locking is old and simple, and it works well. If you want remote locking, just get an aftermarket remote kit and hook it up.

Comment

A kit like this would do most of what you want:

The only tricky/hard part is the steering wheel lock. You would either have to just disable it, or maybe swap the entire column out of an E90 into the E30. That gets complicated fast though.

Comment

Working...
        X