Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! E30 325i M tech I no start!

Hi guys,

Any help would be greatly appreciated on the following...

I have a German Spec E30 (production October 1986) which has several different systems than a 1987 325is. It shares a lot common ground with a 325e.

Background:
    I'm ashamed to say that I haven't driven my E30 as regularly as I would like due to personal reasons and my career taking priority. The car is currently stored in my underground and is covered. The last time I drove it was in June 2017. I have done regular maintenance on the car, including the entire ignition system (cap, rotor, plugs) in 2013, it has less than 2,000kms (~1,200 Miles) on it.

Last time I turned the car on was in December 2017, it fired right up, no problem. I would normally hold the ignition for like 1 second. The car hasn't had any issues starting in over 7 years. I drive it rarely as I live in central urban area and walk to work.

Last time I put fuel in the car was probably 18 months ago, I have a half tank now. The fuel doesn't smell horrible, but it's certainly not fresh.

Current State
    The engine turns over and there's plenty of power in the car, the battery was replaced last year and the starter is turning without issue. It sounds healthy.

Potential Issues:
    I believe the problem is fuel related, as I undid the outflow hose from the Fuel Filter (located under the Fuse Box) and the fuel just trickled out. As I tried putting the ignition to the second click and there's no pressure.

I undid the hose at the front of the engine for Fuel Pressure Regular and it was dry, no fuel.

Additionally, I cannot hear any fuel pump buzzing under the seat or in front of the rear drivers side axle. Which is where I understand the fuel pump is located.

If you guys can help me out, I'd really appreciate it. Clearly, I need to take this as a sign to drive the car more, I just can't imagine selling it as I put in so much work and time over the past 11 years of my ownership. I really got the car to where I wanted it and drove it very little as it took a lot of work to get it there.

Thanks,
    Ben

Photos:

Fuel Pump? (under the rear seat, Passenger's side)

Main External Fuel Pump? (Located under the car, on the driver's side, in front of the wheel well)

Fuel Filter (on the Right)

Fuel Pump Relay ? (blue-grey Bosch Relay)

The last 7 of my VIN is 1776715.

I believe the fuel pump should buzzing, I tried to tap it very lightly with a hammer and had no success.

Comment

Can anyone tell me why the fuel pump under the back seat looks so different on my car versus what ECS and photos on the internet show?

Have a 3 pin connection...?

Comment

On e30's, if you put the key to the second key position the fuel pump will not run like a modern car does. The ECU needs to see a reference signal from the CPS (the engine turning) in order for the fuel pump to run. If I recall the Bentley manual has a test to check for fuel quantity if that's what your after, you run the pump for "X" amount of seconds and see if your pump pumped enough fuel to the engine by capturing it in a cup and measuring how much fuel was captured in the cup.

As for the pump looking different, go on RealOEM and type in your VIN. Look at the part number for the fuel pump listed on there and compare that part number to the one your looking at on ECS tuning.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
        1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
        1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
        1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
        1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
        1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
        Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
        1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
        1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Working...
        X