Cranks but won't start! DME problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cranks but won't start! DME problem?

I have a 1986 euro market 318i with an s50 swap. After sitting a while the battery went flat and now after putting a fully charged battery in, it cranks and turns over great but it won't actually run.

Usually with the key turned to on, you could hear the fuel pump whirring for a second before I went to start it. This no longer happens, which initially led me to looking for fuel issues. The fuel pump receives no voltage when starting the car. After shorting the fuel pump relay, I can hear it turn on and fuel moving around a little so the pumps seem to be working well. They've also both been replaced recently.

The issue appears to be the main relay, which I've replaced. Pin 86 and 30 are both hot. When I put a test light on Pin 85, you can hear the relay click which makes sense since the test light is grounding it. My impression is the DME isn't giving pin 85 the ground it needs. I put my meter between pin 85 and ground and it reads high impedance.

What are the conditions for the DME to trigger this? So far all I've seen is that it needs a good signal from the Crank Position Sensor and I've checked that. It reads 514 ohms between pins 1 and 2 which is within spec as I understand.

Also I'm embarrassed to say I can't find the schematic for all this in the Bentley. I've been using the photo from another post, https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=195470. Can anyone tell me what page this is on?

Thanks!!
    Last edited by redearedslider5; 07-11-2018, 01:18 PM.

Did you ever figure this out? I have noticed these forums sometimes lack input.

Comment

oh sure did! turns out it was a bad DME. replaced all the relays and still didn't work, figured the DME wasn't triggering. got a replacement on ebay and started right up!

Comment

Working...
      X