M42 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 Questions

I have heard of someone having his M42 from an E30 318is bored from 1.8ltrs to 2.2ltrs. According to rough calculations if you retain the stock stroke of 81mm you would need to bore the cylinder out to roughly 90mm to achieve the desired 2.2ltrs.

So what my question is, if anyone knows the answer, what is the largest cylinder bore you can achieve on the M42 block?

Also as long as we are talking about displacement in the 4 bangers the 1996 and later E36 318ti, Z3, and other 3 series 4 bangers had a displacement of 1.9ltrs. Is this increase in displacement due to a longer stroke?

If it is due to a longer stroke can the 1.9ltr crank fit into the M42 block?

And finally the 2.3ltr E30 M3 engine; the crank.... is it possible to fit that crank into the M42 block with or without any modifications?

Thus concludes the brain teaser on the quest for higher displacement for my 4 cylinder BMW engine. Anyone have any information or know of any places where I may be able to find this information?

No to S14 crank. The S14 was based on the M10 block.

The biggest i've seen was a 2.1L M42, and that used a spacer in between the head and the block.

Comment

Hartge and AC Schnitzer have the 2.1 liter conversion kit...
      Don't know about Alpina though....

It's bored and stroked...

The M42 is using forged crank while M44 is using cast iron....
      M42 crank is supposedly better balanced than the M44 crank...
      BMWClub Malaysia
      www.bmwclubmalaysia.com

Comment

Originally posted by fabianyee
        Hartge and AC Schnitzer have the 2.1 liter conversion kit...
        Don't know about Alpina though....

It's bored and stroked...

The M42 is using forged crank while M44 is using cast iron....
        M42 crank is supposedly better balanced than the M44 crank...

:up:

Comment

stu how much power you think can be gained by this??? worth it or ditch it, m50 the bitch???

Comment

I was actually looking at throwing a turbo at the bitch and figured as long as I have to have the block honed and get new pistons that I actually bore out the block and get a little bit of an increase in displacement while I'm at it.

So does anyone know just how far can the stock m42 block be bored out? Or does someone know where I can find out?

Comment

I am also interested in this conversion any info on it would be helpful

Comment

When I sit down to actually do my engine tear down I will inspect the block and try to make a guesstimate as to how much boring the block can take. Hopefully I am somewhat close and don't blow up the block.

Comment

Working...
                X