Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ignition key wont turn, steering wheel moves freely.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition key wont turn, steering wheel moves freely.

My 91 318is's ignition will not turn to ACC, on, or ignition. Simply wont budge at all, I've tried both locks.

I've tried lubing the cylinder, moving the wheel back and forth while trying to turn the ignition.

Ever since my car was in the last heavy snow storm the ignition key wont turn. (not sure if the cold is related but this issue coincides with the snow)

Is this a steering lock issue? I figured id ask here before I pull apart my column or buy a new ignition cylinder.
    91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
    Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
    E30 can make you, E30 can break you
    "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Lift the front end, shack the steering rack or tires and try turning the key at same time. Also spray some wd40 down the key hole. Just a tiny bit or on the key only try that first. Make sure you have a strong key and some extras on hand. You do not want to break it as if you do you won't be able to remove the ignition lock cylinder whatsoever as you have to turn the key to on, in order to pull it out and replace it . Mine died on me and I found out the hard way breaking the key and stranding myself. Because when I pulled it with a magnet I didn't have a spare to turn the key cylinder, but got lucky since I found the original hidden in it. Made sure to make extra keys then came back and the ignition cylinder worked again by itself, she started up, but I was ready to try again just to withdraw the ignition cylinder and replace it actually. So the car fixed itself, keep spares on hand. Wow

Also try a fresh battery?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sonny; 03-29-2019, 02:15 PM.

Comment

You probably have a worn out ignition lock, worst case scenario. This is up to you but Try a squirt of oil In the cylinder, and a brand new cut key. Could just be some sticking pins and maybe your key is ever so slightly worn out, 30 years of constant in and out and most likely there's some old ear wax gummed in there from previous owner. Honestly best bet is a fresh copy of the key asap. It should provide the extra mm in ridges to maybe push a pin inside that won't push anymore due to key wear?

Hope it works, make some key copies and we'll see you on the road again!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Have you repaired it or need more help?

Comment

Did you resolve this? This morning I couldn't get my key to turn past the accessories. So the steering will unlocks but I can't start the car. I have several keys for the car and multiples failed - i guess I can try lubing the lock too.

Comment

Working...
          X