General Engine questions. (M42)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Engine questions. (M42)

So I've had a couple of general questions about whats best for my engine, it's a M42B18 in a '91 318ic 5spd, it currently sits at 180,XXX.

1. Oil: I've been using Castrol Edge 5W-30 full synthetic for the past year and changing it every 4k, as well with Wix oil filters every change. This seems to work fine but, I'm trying to figure out whats best for my car to make sure it can last another 180k. I've heard good things about LiqiMoly and Mobil 1. I live in the midwest and it's just about summer here. Any tips or suggestions is appreciated.

2. Performance Upgrades: I've seen bmwman91's posts about this, I know about the M20 flywheel and Sssquid chips. My question is when/if I rebuild my engine, what are some simpler things that can be done (cams, valves, etc) to increase power? I mostly ask out of curiousness but it's something I'd definitely want to do. If anyone has suggestions on engine swaps too, I'd always like to hear about that.

3. Transmission/Clutch: Not technically engine but they're connected. My transmission seems fine but if anyone has tips on preventive maintenance for the shifter and actual transmission or parts to get, I've never personally dived into one yet. The clutch is also fine as of right now, but like I said, any tips or tricks on what to buy to beef it up or simply replace it helps.

I would like to apologize in advance if my post isn't in the right forum and/or I'm asking stupid questions. This is my third post and I've only had my E30 for a year. Otherwise, thanks for any feedback.

To my understanding synthetic oil is not going to treat the m42 as well as conventional, I would switch. Here in SoCal I used 10w-40.
    sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
    1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
    1991 318is - Sold
    1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

I have used synthetic in the families 4 E30 M42s for 17 years with no issues. The highest mileage car is just shy of 200k and runs great. I use Total 10-40. I use Red Line MTL and Red Line Gear Oil as well.
      Ex Pro 3 and Chump Driver/Car Builder/Owner
      1991 318is Track Car
      ND Maita - Daily Driver

Comment

Originally posted by e30_jake View Post
        So I've had a couple of general questions about whats best for my engine, it's a M42B18 in a '91 318ic 5spd, it currently sits at 180,XXX.

1. Oil: I've been using Castrol Edge 5W-30 full synthetic for the past year and changing it every 4k, as well with Wix oil filters every change. This seems to work fine but, I'm trying to figure out whats best for my car to make sure it can last another 180k. I've heard good things about LiqiMoly and Mobil 1. I live in the midwest and it's just about summer here. Any tips or suggestions is appreciated.

This has been hashed over many times. The gist is, switching to whatever is meaningless without actual oil analysis. These days folks seem to be extending their change intervals, with some even changing filters in between changes. Personally, I normally use M1 15w-50, but that wouldn't be great for you in MI for some of the year, so if in doubt, read the owenrs manual for the range/grade chart, and BITOG for current oil info.

2. Performance Upgrades: I've seen bmwman91's posts about this, I know about the M20 flywheel and Sssquid chips. My question is when/if I rebuild my engine, what are some simpler things that can be done (cams, valves, etc) to increase power? I mostly ask out of curiousness but it's something I'd definitely want to do. If anyone has suggestions on engine swaps too, I'd always like to hear about that.

I have been an M42 lover for about a decade, but I am moving on to an M54B30, mostly as the cost per HP is no longer great considering the recent increase in certain M42 parts. FWIW, a N/A 1.8 M42 with Schricks/some port work can net you 160HP at the crank, a 1.9x maybe nets another 5-10, and a 2.1 can go as high as 220 depending on a variety of factors. The M42 is not a powerhouse in N/A trim, so if that doesn't work for you, swap or turbo.

3. Transmission/Clutch: Not technically engine but they're connected. My transmission seems fine but if anyone has tips on preventive maintenance for the shifter and actual transmission or parts to get, I've never personally dived into one yet. The clutch is also fine as of right now, but like I said, any tips or tricks on what to buy to beef it up or simply replace it helps.

Don't bother opening your transmission, if you have rebuilt your shifter system, which you should, you could just try another transmission as they are cheap enough to swap in hopes of finding a less worn unit.

I would like to apologize in advance if my post isn't in the right forum and/or I'm asking stupid questions. This is my third post and I've only had my E30 for a year. Otherwise, thanks for any feedback.

Post in the M42 section in future for these types of questions.

Comment

Working...
        X