Early coolant res in battery tray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early coolant res in battery tray

I'm being stupid while I redo my engine bay and want to put my early style coolant reservoir in the battery tray and fit longer hoses. Has anyone done this before? I've thought of an m42 rad but I don't want to convert to a late model coolant system so that's out.

Complications I could see arising would be finding hoses long enough and then routing them so they looked halfway decent, while using metallic tape to shield them from heat. Other than that I have access to a welder, level, paint etc. I've removed A/C and am on the fence about removing the reservoir for the windshield washers, so that may be a factor to consider.

The reason for this is of course I painted my exhaust manifolds and I don't want anything in the way that would obscure them from sight. The battery tray is now vacant and I can't help but think it's a perfect fit. :P

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

FYI, E30 M3s have the expansion tank mounted in the battery tray. Might be able to transfer that all over or at least use the hoses.

Comment

Interesting mod! Wasn't it the iX's that had the coolant res in that area? Maybe it was just the s14's like AndrewBird mentioned.. Good luck, post pics!
      "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

IX's have the washer fluid reservoir in the battery tray area.

AFAIK, there were no IX's on this side of the world with the early style coolant overflow tank since they were all 1988 and beyond.

The E30 collection:
        1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
        1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
        1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
        1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
        1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
        1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
        1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
        2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
        2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

I learned today that the m3 has its coolant res in the battery tray (thanks 2man!) but also that it uses a $100 metal pipe to connect it to the water pump. Sweet.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Working...
          X