Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how can i verify an ac compressor is ok when out of the car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how can i verify an ac compressor is ok when out of the car?

hey i hope this is the right forum to post ac questions but....

last year i swapped over a full good working ac system to my car and but didnt vaccuum pump or clean the system. i just recharged it. as you can guess it didnt work and i assume i ruined good parts.
    well this year im trying again and im getting all new parts for the whole system except i got a used compressor from a junkyard. when i put it side by side with my old compressor it seems like the old compressor turns easier than my new junkyard compressor.

can i clean my old compressor and use it? or how can i check a compressor at the junkyard to ind a good one? maybe i just have to put out the $500+ for a rebuilt one?

What make is the compressor?

I cannot think of a good bench test for a compressor since they run at very high pressures. A rebuilt or even new one should not be $500 I got one in the 350 range. There are also compressor rebuild kits that do not cost a huge amount of money if you do some searching you’ll find them, I would start there.

Comment

thanks for the reply. ive been looking harder for a new ac compressor and i guess im just gonna spend the cash. ive learned the hard way what happens when you cheep out on an e30.

Comment

Why do you think you ruined everything? Unless there was a lot of moisture in the system, not vacuuming it out likely did nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
          Why do you think you ruined everything? Unless there was a lot of moisture in the system, not vacuuming it out likely did nothing.

well when i charged it without vaccuuming, the belt struggled turn the compressor...im guessing its all gummed or something.....i did notice it turns easier than the junkyard compressor though. maybe i just try again with vaccuuming?

Comment

Sure its not the clutch then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

i really dont know how to tell...i had good working ac and my car got rear ended. swapped the whole front subframe over to my new car and bolted the ac back up.....when i recharged it (without vaccuuming it) it was really squeeky when i engaged the clutch and seemed like it didnt want to turn....and if course wasnt cold... i was under the impression that i messes up the compressor when i did that....idk i might just get new because i dont want to put it together again and wastte the freon.

Comment

Working...
              X