318is - Power steering hoses replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318is - Power steering hoses replacement

I have used a search button but could not find anything with details I am looking for. If this post needs to be moved to another section please move it. I have a 1991 318is that has a leak coming from either power steering reservoir or one of the hoses. I would like to replace power steering reservoir as well as both hoses. Return hose from power steering to reservoir seems to be buried deep in an engine bay and access is very limited. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendation as how to replace the return hose. Access from top is very limited and would require removing some components. On YouTube there are a few videos but all of them are for 6 cylinder engines and access seems to be a lot better.
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by gooseman; 05-29-2019, 07:15 AM.

Have you tried accessing from under the car? I did an E36 rack replacement on my 318is and dont remember that hose being too difficult to get access to. You'll have to remove the plastic under tray wheel well cowl to get easier access.
    Steve • Toronto
    1991 318is • Brillantrot
    Build Thread

Comment

Last time I checked access from the bottom was not that easy as subframe was in the way. I do not have a lift and only use jack stands, maybe using a lift gives you better access.

Comment

Best reached from the bottom but can be a pain if you don't have the right combination of wrenches.

Comment

Finally I was able to find some time to replace the hoses and reservoir. Best access is still from the bottom using open end wrenches (you will need 22 mm and 19 mm). At the steering rack, you will have to undo 19 mm banjo bolt in order to get to 22 mm (this is a return hose going back to reservoir). Make sure to use new washers, you will need 2 per connection, ( 6 total, 4 are the same but for 22mm banjo you will need bigger size, so order correct parts).

Thank you all for your suggestions

Comment

Working...
          X