cracked head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cracked head?

so my car overheated the other day and since then it's been running like shit, today i figured i'll change out the plugs. pull out the plugs and cyl 5 and 6 were drenched in coolant. so A) could i have cracked my head, B) blown my head gasket, C) warp my head, or D) all of the above. I checked my oil and it's not milky and my coolant isnt' milky either. When i pull the plugs out of the plug socket tool coolant comes out. Either way i knwo i'm screwed i just want to know how bad, thanks

Do a compression test. Either that or a leak down test. This will tell you pretty much what is wrong of it. IF you can't do either, pull the head and see if the gasket is blown. Then take the head to a machine shop and have them check it out. That's the only real way to know.

Comment

All of the above are possible, but a simple head gasket failure is the most likely. Until you pull the head there's no way to know how severe the damage is.
      Last edited by jlevie; 12-24-2006, 08:20 AM.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Pull the cover and look for a crack....yes they can be that bad.
        Just because you don't have water in your oil doesn't mean it wont run like shit.
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

it is running like shit, that's for sure. I'm just going to pull the head cause there's coolant in there where there shouldn't be any. hopefully it's just he head gasket[crossing fingers]

Comment

You have to pull the head no matter what. Take the head to a machine shop and ask for a pressure test for cracks.
            Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

god damn this fucking sucks tony. when are you pulling your head? i would ask you on AIM but you havent been responding, asshole. and im too lazy to call you.

Comment

maybe i jumped to conclusion but here's the symptoms of my car. IN the morning when i start up the car and take off it drives just fine and then a few miles down when my car warms up it starts sputtering, it doenst' hesitate, more like i'm running on 4cyl instead of 6. but on the highway i can drive just fine except when i step on the gas and then it sputters, i just dont see how coolant could get into the spark plugs

Comment

When the engine is warm and it is missing do you see white smoke from the exhaust. A head gasket leak to a coolant passage bad enough to foul out the plugs should make white smoke. But a cross-cylinder leak will only cause misfires.

A compression and leak down test on a cold and hot engine should tell whether there's a cross-cylinder leak. And holding 150-180psi for several minutes on each cylinder while monitoring cooling system pressure with a sensitive gage will tell if theres a leak into a cooling passage.
                  The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                  Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

me and jeff are going to start working on my sis's car tmr, tony. you should stop by, we can run a comp. test on your car and start from there.

Comment

Working...
                    X