hesitation while accelerating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hesitation while accelerating

Cars an 87 is. My car hesitates under acceleration. It's bad when its cold and when does it very little when the car is completly warmed up. What could this be? AFM? ECU?

-Paul

i'd like to know this as well.
    Originally posted by Hawt drift chick
    Yeah, i'm a good dude i swear, i just like to be balls to the wall.

Comment

Check your reference and crank sensor on your tranny bell housing. Maybe something is grinding up against them that is giving it a bad signal. Slim, but possible. Also, your fuel delivery system could be faulty. Disconnect your fuel supply line and turn the engine and see if the amount of fuel you fill up in a measured bucket in a certain amount of time is up to spec (check bentley manual). If not, you may have a bad fuel pump. Also the fuel filter could be clogged too.

One last thing i'll suggest is the distributor/rotor. If it's failing, it will work just a little bit better when the car is warm than when it's cold, but not much. My bet is with worn connections on your distributor. Good luck!
      Recent Rebranding!!
      Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
      E30 SM62/S62
      E30 M60 V8
      E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
      Instagram.com/garageaholic
      Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

I am thinking it is your fuel pump. does you car take a while to start i.e. crank for a couple seconds before it turns on?

Comment

shit, i dont mean to post after myself, but i've been thinking about it alot. If you have an exhaust leak before the O2 sensor, you could have really shitty emmissions. Is your mileage decreasing too? BC if it is, you could have an exhaust leak and that causes hesitation too along with a gurgling sound under cruising.

ok i'm done now
          Recent Rebranding!!
          E30 SM62/S62
          E30 M60 V8
          E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Originally posted by porsche gt1 View Post
            I am thinking it is your fuel pump. does you car take a while to start i.e. crank for a couple seconds before it turns on?
            Yea, it takes a second longer to start than normal most of the time. When its warmed up it runs great only bogs every once in a while. Its almost like a backfire...

Car just cuts power, and then its fine again. It seems as if its kinda fuel momentarily...

Thanks for the help so far guys, keep the suggestions coming.

-Paul

Comment

if you have stock (never replaced) ignition wires... replace that! might be an ignition problem..
              sigpic

Comment

it's either ignition, fuel, or electrical. Lol that narrows it down for ya! lol
                Recent Rebranding!!
                E30 SM62/S62
                E30 M60 V8
                E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Originally posted by M3fan4eva View Post
                  all you need now is something wrong with the chassis and you will never figure it out

Comment

Originally posted by formula driver View Post
                    Yea, it takes a second longer to start than normal most of the time. When its warmed up it runs great only bogs every once in a while. Its almost like a backfire...

Car just cuts power, and then its fine again. It seems as if its kinda fuel momentarily...

Thanks for the help so far guys, keep the suggestions coming.

-Paul
                    If you have a bog while driving it might be your CPS as M3fan suggested as this would throw off the timing.

when my fuel pump was tarting to go it started out as a longer crank then I had to start giving it a little gas to get it to start. I hope it is something more simple like the ignition wires or distributor. They should be easier to test.

Comment

Originally posted by M3fan4eva View Post
                      I have the same problem, and I came to the same conclusion. In fact, my E30 cutout for about two seconds and then came back to life while I was cruising at a steady 40. :crazy:

In my case I'm pretty sure it's either the crankshaft position sensor or the fuel pump. My ignition wires are original, so they're also going to (eventually) get replaced.

Good luck Formula. This problem fucking blows.
                      1988 325ic Automatic

Comment

fpr vacuum line?

Comment

Originally posted by browntown View Post
                          fpr vacuum line?
                          That's not a bad idea. I might check that out.
                          1988 325ic Automatic

Comment

Have thw same thnig every now & then . I let p off the pedal and re-apply gas. My spark plug wires were replaced about 55.000km's ago

-> Afficionados join the M-technic I club

Comment

Originally posted by PУCCKAЯ_e30 View Post
                              if you have stock (never replaced) ignition wires... replace that! might be an ignition problem..
                              Wires are brand new red 8mm wires....not the problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X