Bucking when engine is cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bucking when engine is cold

I have a 1989 325i. When the outside temp is aprox below 35 degrees, I start the car up and always let the motor warm up for aprox. 2-5 min. before driving.

The car starts to buck when I start to drive. Once the engine is totally warmed up, the bucking stops. What could cause this? how do I fix it?

Thanks!
    1989 US E30 Cammed S52
    Under Construction: 1983 Euro E28 Cammed LQ9/LS3 Heads/Jakeb E28 LSx Kit

you cant. it is just how the car drives when it is cold. its just natural.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeE30325i View Post
      How is this "natural?" It just started doing it this winter. If it was natural, all of our cars would be bucking when cold.
      1989 US E30 Cammed S52

Comment

Did you hit the secret "Rodeo" switch?

It may be a fuel issue. I would replace the fpr and spark plugs if you haven't in a while.

91 318is

Comment

Originally posted by ACHTUNG View Post
          How is this "natural?" It just started doing it this winter. If it was natural, all of our cars would be bucking when cold.
          my car hesitates and bucks when the engine is cold. but as soon as the engine temp gets higher, and the idle goes down to 600 rpms, the bucking goes away.

it could be that the oil isnt warm enough and covering all the parts of the engine like it should, and maybe parts are rubbing or something, causing the bucking. good luck trying to fix it.

Comment

my engine gets a very slight hesitation when its cold, but only sometimes, so far it hasnt worried me cause its not real bad right now
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
            Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

A cold engine requires a richer mixture and even a small intake leak can lean out the mixture enough to cause problems. That would be the place to start in solving this problem.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                A cold engine requires a richer mixture and even a small intake leak can lean out the mixture enough to cause problems. That would be the place to start in solving this problem.
                I'll start with that. Thanks.
                1989 US E30 Cammed S52

Comment

Originally posted by MikeE30325i View Post
                  ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

I have the same problem. I do not have a leak in my intake or anywhere else (i know this as I just replaced all my gaskets 2 months ago).
                    Last edited by porsche gt1; 02-05-2007, 05:15 PM.

Comment

This hapened on my E39 this winter, it was an intake leak, I did the valve covers, manifold, and throttle body gaskets, then every vacuum hose I could find. I also replaced every hoseclamp that was on every vacuum hose.
                      Last edited by HST; 02-08-2007, 11:10 AM.
                      Originally posted by KingB
                      Scratch my back and I buy a prostitute for you, to rub your balls. HAHA now thats some funny shit.

Comment

Working...
                      X