anyone know what would be causing this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone know what would be causing this?

my son has a 90 325i thats stock except for suspension etc.
    last summer the pressure plate went bad. several of the fingers broke and we ended up putting a new "used" pressure plate in it and all was fine. now about 3k miles later its showing symptoms of the same issue. im tired of pulling this thing apart and wonder if theres not something going on to cause this. its new to me but i was hoping someone might have an idea? or is he just unlucky and had another bad plate???
    We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
    www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Used parts can be something of a crap shoot. I'm guessing that the car is showing signs of a slipping clutch, and the odds are that the used clutch simply had little life left in it. I'd say to pull it apart, resurface the flywheel if necessary, and install a new clutch disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
      Used parts can be something of a crap shoot. I'm guessing that the car is showing signs of a slipping clutch, and the odds are that the used clutch simply had little life left in it. I'd say to pull it apart, resurface the flywheel if necessary, and install a new clutch disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing.
      thanks, i wasnt very clear. the clutch and pressure plate that went bad were virtually new. 6k at most. when i took it apart the clutch looked new but the pp had a few broken fingers. the clutch doesnt slip now. you just can barely shift it because you cant get the clutch to disengage properly. i guess we will take this fucker apart again and start over. the replacement pp was a known good unit with 30-40k on it i robbed off the motor i sold to devo before it left
      if anyone else has had a similar issue id like to hear about it.
      We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
      www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

slave cylinder problems?
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
        Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

I'll say slave cylinder as well. They are like $35 new I think, so replacing it would be a cheap experiment.
          '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

just bought one from patric for $27

and you dont even have to wrestle with the tranny
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
            Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Check the clutch fork too. Make sure it isnt bent. Also, check the plastic pivot pin for the clutch fork on the passenger side. After a long time, the end of it that is supposed to be rounded can flatten out. What are the symptoms its having? Seem like its always slipping? Clutch engaged a little all the time with the pedal to the floor?

Will
              RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
              Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
              DaveCN = Old Man
              My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
              If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

A bad slave cylinder will leak, so that should be pretty obvious. But a bad master cylinder may only leak back into the reservoir. Either of those problems, or air in the system, can result in only partial clutch disengagement.
                The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

pilot bearing?

how easy/difficult was the trans to pull? Any possibility that the input shaft took some damage?

Clutch disc on the correct side?

All that comes to mind right now...
                  Joe Funk -- Portland Oregon
                  That Guy.
                  03 X5. 3 liter obviously.

Comment

Working...
                  X