timing belt 89 325i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timing belt 89 325i

Can anyone give me some advice/pointers on a timing belt change. i have never done a timing belt before and i know how important it is. i have ordered all the parts and i am just waiting for them to arrive. i have read a few things like...

timing belt goes on counter clockwise. is this true.

Also what do i need to do with the tensioner once the t-belt is installed. Do i use the spring for initial tension and then turn the motor (by hand) and then tighten the tensioner? I am just not clear and a bit apprehensive in doing this job. I am not a complete noob i have don struts, wheel bearings, mufflers, diffs. Just want to make sure i do it properly b/c i dont want to ruin my engine. thanks Matt

my best advice to you is to get a bentley manual for the e30

you basically take everything off the front of the engine pull off the old tbelt slide on the knew one, making sure you keep the timing correct of course, then you turn the engine over 720degrees then you tighten the tensioner.

thats a very quick description of it, they go into much more detail in the bentley
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

some people can do the t-belt without taking the radiator out but I can't. bentley for sure will help you out. good luck.
      Originally posted by Hawt drift chick
      Yeah, i'm a good dude i swear, i just like to be balls to the wall.

Comment

You can leave the hood on, radiator in and everything. Once you get it timed up, loosen the bolts for the water pump/tensioner and take them out. Put the water pump back in, and the tensioner back in. Have somebody push towards the water pump on the tensioner so you get as much slack as possible. Then slide the belt on the crank pulley first, then oil pump pulley, tensioner, and finally the cam gear. Just dont turn the crank/cam while the belt is off. Before you put the belt back on, just double check the timing. Then once its on, rotate the engine twice and check timing marks again. If its on, put it back together and make sure it runs :)

Will
        RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
        Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
        DaveCN = Old Man
        My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
        If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Go here for instructions

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
          When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's £3.95 per minute.
          "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson"
          Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Comment

That is a great write up thanks guys. Matt

Comment

the first time will take you hours, the next time you do it. 1.5 hours tops.

Comment

I would say pull your hood and radiator for your first time. I have done it a few times now and have things figured out really well so the only reason i would pull the radiator would be because i was replacing hoses. My first time was challenging but i really dont know why it was so hard after doing it the 2nd time.
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-h...wE3UqwjjmaTrXg

Comment

Instead of pulling the hood, which is much more trouble than it's worth, I just pull the clip and pin from the hood shock on the passenger side. This provides a few more inches of room. Just make sure you secure the hood in its up position.
                  1995 Porsche 993 6 speed
                  2001 BMW M3 6 speed - DD
                  2001 BMW 530iA Sport - Hers
                  2005 KTM 450EXC 6 speed

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Clone
                  1988 BMW 325is x2
                  1985 BMW M635CSI 286hp
                  2001 KTM 400MXC

Comment

Originally posted by jmarch View Post
                    Instead of pulling the hood, which is much more trouble than it's worth, I just pull the clip and pin from the hood shock on the passenger side. This provides a few more inches of room. Just make sure you secure the hood in its up position.
                    Nice, i have never thought of that. I like hearing new things to try.

Comment

is there a certain size torx tool that i need to take off the rotor? Do i need a torx tool at all. i am going to change the cam seal.

Comment

Yes you need a torx tool. You might be able to get away with using channel locks but you might as well buy a set of torx.

Comment

Originally posted by viali8 View Post
                          is there a certain size torx tool that i need to take off the rotor? Do i need a torx tool at all. i am going to change the cam seal.
                          Hmmm. In my experience, every cap and rotor change I've made required an 8mm socket for the cap and a small allen wrench for the rotor. Are you sure those are torx bolts attaching your rotor?
                          1995 Porsche 993 6 speed
                          2001 BMW M3 6 speed - DD
                          2001 BMW 530iA Sport - Hers
                          2005 KTM 450EXC 6 speed

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Clone
                          1988 BMW 325is x2
                          1985 BMW M635CSI 286hp
                          2001 KTM 400MXC

Comment

Originally posted by jmarch View Post
                            Hmmm. In my experience, every cap and rotor change I've made required an 8mm socket for the cap and a small allen wrench for the rotor. Are you sure those are torx bolts attaching your rotor?
                            ^I'm with him, allen head for rotor.
                            Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
                            BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
                            BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
                            BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

i am not sure. i saw this write up on pelican parts and it says i need a T-50 torx wrench if i want to change the cam seal. here is the link

One of the most important maintenance tasks for the six-cylinder E30 engines is the replacement of the rubber timing belt. Be sure to read this article!

Comment

Working...
                              X