Ignition - Crank Sensor/Trigger wheel & Distributor Delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition - Crank Sensor/Trigger wheel & Distributor Delete

I searched the archives and didn't find anything like this.

Is it possible to do a distributor delete (easily) on the m20? I was very pleasantly suprised to see a trigger wheel on the car because that's about 60% of a distributorless ignition system. I'm contemplating using MegaSquirt on the e30 but a few months (two years) down the road probably. Until then I'm wondering if someone sells a kit or if someone has setup a wasted spark distributorless ignition system and maintained the stock ECU.

Anyone know how many teeth there are on the trigger wheel?

Thanks...

i dont know much about any of this but if it helps i believe the m20 uses a missing tooth triggering system.

then again i could be totally wrong
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

It does. There are two crankshaft revolutions per distributor revolution right (intake & exhaust) so for example Ford uses a 36-1 tooth setup (35 teeth and a gap) This means that there's 10 degrees every tooth (36 spots & 360 degrees) so it's a nice round number to set advances and timing. I'm not a ford advocate but their 36-1 wheel happens to fit perfectly (almost) on an m10 crank pulley.

I'm wondering about the m20 setup partially for timing and future reference (how many teeth divide by 720 degrees is how many degrees per tooth) as well as for MegaSquirt options down the road. I've got a Split Second setup on the car now which is piggy back but the PO did it pretty hack. There's also an unknown "custom burn" chip in the car. Because of this I'm tempted to tear it all out and just run a MS-II setup on my own ECU.

Comment

Ask the guys on e30tech.com about the EDIS setup from ford. A couple of them have used that for megasquirt I think.

Will
        RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
        Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
        DaveCN = Old Man
        My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
        If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

60-2 wheel, 13 teeth at the falling edge is cyl 1 tdc

Comment

Working...
          X