Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help please

Hi guys... I'm having a problem with my 325i... It's auto and for some reason the revs are cutting at about 5000rpm, can someone please help me sort this out?? I want it to cut at about 6500rpm.

The first thing I'd check is the fuel pump and fuel filter. Sounds like your not getting the proper amount of fuel pressure.
    This is your M20 on steroids:

Comment

It is not an ETA is it?

wrong area will a mod move this.
      Dan Zickel
      1995 M3, 1991 318iS, 1987 325iS

Comment

What exactly do you mean by "cutting out"? Rev-limiter type cutout or just craps out?

Where is redline on your tach and look on the inside of the driver's side door. Does it say 325i or 325e?

Comment

Please explain what an ETA is. Anyway the revz are just limited at 5000, it doesn't crap out ther... It says 325i by the door...

Comment

It's a rev-limiter type cutout. The redline on my tech is at 6500rpm

Comment

I'm really new here too (to e30's) but It sounds like you have an ECU/electrical issue with the cutout. Perhaps it could be fixed with a chip upgrade (rumored to be $50 on ebay) or you could look to see exactly what chip you have in the ECU and ensure that it's an I chip.

Do you know the history of the car? Has it always been like this? Did you change something to make this start? How about this for a question... Why exactly do you need to rev an automatic car up to 6,500rpm? Isn't it fast enough as is?

If you look in the top of the glovebox you will see your ECU. Unplug the battery, remove the ECU and take a look at the chip inside the box. Post up the numbers and someone will be able to tell you what that chip is and if the rev limit on that chip is 5,000rpm. If it's not the chip than perhaps your tach was changed and is not accurately displaying the RPM's???

Comment

Thanks for that info Wintsonj... I'm not sure about the history of the car, it's been like this since the timeI got it. I love speed and cutting at 5000rpm really aint doin it for me. I'll have to check those numbers and get back to you... And the tach is displaying correctly... I think I need to change the chip tho.

Comment

Working...
                X