Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with a parts list, Clutch, rear diff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with a parts list, Clutch, rear diff.

So i've made the choice of keeping my car for the long haul and will be performing a lot of maintenence in the next month. I'm at 130,000 on a stock clutch and my rear has been progressively getting a louder whine. I've only got 2 weeks to gather parts before its going to get the work done. I'm getting it all done basically for free at my dad's close friend's shop since i don't feel like venturing into a clutch job in my driveway nor do i have the time with the hours ive been putting in at work.

Since i don't have that much time to gather a list i need some help. so far this is what i've got. ill be adding to it over the next couple days as i'll be looking it all up when i get home from work every day. early body style, 87is if it matters..
    SHIFTER:

shift boot
    shift knob
    1x . . . 25 11 7 516 160 - Z4 3.0i Shift Lever
    4x . . . 25 11 1 220 439 - Spacer Rings
    1x . . . 25 11 1 220 832 - Rubber Bearing sleeve
    2x . . . 25 11 1 220 379 - Circlips $0.50 (one extra)
    1x . . . 25 11 1 220 600 - Nylon Shift Bushing - $4.00

CLUTCH:

Sachs clutch kit. w/ pilot bearing..

rear main seal and transmission input seal.
    motor and transmission mounts..

REAR:

Is there a rebuild kit. What else should i do while im in there? C.V. joints? Driveshaft support/bearing.

I know i'm asking a lot but i need the help and i really appreciate it. so if theres anything you can think of that i should do while im in there without going too far out of the way, please mention it. Thanks in advance... also,once i get it back from the shop im going to be redoing the suspension myself so i'll finally come out of the shadows with some good pics.
    Last edited by dgspikes; 04-02-2007, 06:10 PM.

First I'd say to determine whether the whine is from the differential, or fuel pump. They can sound a lot alike.

I'd add a rear main seal and transmission input seal to your list. Unless there's evidence of leaking I wouldn't mess with the rear tranny seals, but replacing the rear main or input seal while the transmission is out saves having to drop it later. And if the Sach's kit doesn't include a pilot bearing add that to the list.

And at 130K I'll bet that you need new motor & transmission mounts. Since you'll drop the tranny cross member and need to lift the front of the engine (necessitating disconnection of the motor mounts) this would be the time to replace those.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

thank you, thats the exact type of help im looking for. anyone else?

Comment

one more time. calling in an order on monday. any other suggestions?

Comment

I suggest that you do replace the rear transmission seals. The shift shaft seal is much easier when the transmission is out, and some places (e.g. FAP99.com) have the rear seals for under $2 each.

23-12-1-282-394 Shift shaft oil seal, 15x21x5, $8.60, $2.35
          23-12-1-205-340 Transmission output shaft seal, 40x55x8, $12.40 , $2.95

Comment

nice, thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X