89 to 87 wiring harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 to 87 wiring harness

somone said this it brought up a good question.

Mitch M wrote:
    What year harness. 87 "i" harnesses are bolt in for ETA cars. 88 up take work.

so that brings me to this can i swap in an 87 harness for my 1989 325i engine?

How much are harness's?

i have a 1986 325eS.

all etas use a different engine harness then i cars.

the 87 i harness is different then the 88+ one

a i harness with not work with a eta. the vehicle will not start.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Yes, we know that from experiance. lol

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
        all etas use a different engine harness then i cars.

the 87 i harness is different then the 88+ one

a i harness with not work with a eta. the vehicle will not start.
        So then what should i do to get the car started?

So basically your saying the 87 harness is more compatiable with the Eta then an 88+ harness but still doesnt mean it is 100% compatiable. correct

Comment

You can make it work but it requires some wiring to convert from one style plug to the other.
          85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Does any one know where i get get the instructions or whatever on how to wire the plugs correctly?

Comment

the entire C-101 connector needs to be rewired... its not worth the damn trouble. This is one of the major reasons why no one does I swaps into Etas.

Buy a Bentley manual, the scematics you need are in there.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
              https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Here is a link to the wiring http://pws.prserv.net/usinet.wdroll/c101-1.htm
                85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

the entire C-101 connector needs to be rewired... its not worth the damn trouble. This is one of the major reasons why no one does I swaps into Etas.

Then I guess swapping my M20B25 into my ETA aint worth my time :p

just looking over the schematics, it does not seem THAT hard, just following and tracing wires to different places.

Plus I don't like the idea of buying an I just for the motor when I already have a perfectly good chassis AND an m20b25 on my engine stand :)

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone

Then I guess swapping my M20B25 into my ETA aint worth my time :p

just looking over the schematics, it does not seem THAT hard, just following and tracing wires to different places.

Plus I don't like the idea of buying an I just for the motor when I already have a perfectly good chassis AND an m20b25 on my engine stand :)
                    I trust you enough to have you come over and take a peek and poke around in my car when i do this swap. 8) (i just may need your skillz anyway)

I also hear you can use the Eta engine harness is this true or is it for 88+ only?

Comment

When I put 87 m20b25 motor in my 90 325, I had to use some parts of my 90 m20b25 original motor, far as I can remember, T/B is different, looks same but has extra hole, can be blocked but I didnt wanted to waste time so I put my old one, oil check light swtich plugs are different, which can be rewired but I swapped my from my original motor, fuel rail is different, has return line from firewall, and my original motor has from front/radiator, and I think thats about it, far as I can remember.
                      95' M3.
                      90' 325i Turboed.
                      87' 325eS Fixed.

Comment

Working...
                      X