need help with some kind of crazy electrical problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help with some kind of crazy electrical problem

Car is an 86 325 that I just picked up... It's been running great so far, no problems, just getting stuff ready to pass inspection. Last night I go to take it out and the following things happen, in order, fairly quickly.

-ABS light comes on
    -Radio turns off
    -Tachometer stops working, but jumps around a bit
    -Engine starts running really rough, sputtering and surging all over, no power at all. Also smells like its running really rich.
    -Headlights stop working, turn signals no longer work, however parking lights/interior lights work fine.
    -If you try to restart it right after this it doesn't even turn over, however there is a buzzing sound from under the middle/front of the car somewhere (starter maybe?)
    -No fuses are blown, everything else except what's listed still works.

I waited a few minutes, then noticed when I put the key in the radio turned back on and the ABS light was off...started right up like normal. Ran fine for a minute or two, then the same things happened again. Waited a bit and the exact same thing happened again.

Battery is good, although I'll have to check the alternator but I don't have the car here right now.

Anything else I should check? What else could possibly cause this?

Alternator sounds probably as there is so much affected.

The only other thing might be some giant short somewhere, shorting out several wires.

Check the alternator first then plunge into the dash wiring if that isn't the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
      Alternator sounds probably as there is so much affected.

The only other thing might be some giant short somewhere, shorting out several wires.

Check the alternator first then plunge into the dash wiring if that isn't the problem.
      Yes.
      Originally posted by cabriodster87
      "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
      Originally posted by Kershaw
      i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike325 View Post
        Yes.
        OT, but that reminded me of a quote:

"I said what any man with 2 penises would say when his tailor asks him if he dresses to the left or to the right."

"Yes"

Comment

That battery cant be any good....

Comment

I'm having similar problems, we'll see if a fresh SI board solves the gauge stuff...
            '89 325i track sloot
            '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

I had my dad check the voltage on the battery since I'm not home, 10 volts, so that's messed up, I'll have to get a new one if it's not holding a charge or see if the car isn't charging it properly.

He then jump started it from his fucking truck and left the jumper cables hooked up for 20 minutes to "charge it"....how bad is that for the car, I know the bently manual has a huge thing about how you're not supposed to do that, he claims I have no idea what I'm talking about and it's perfectly ok.

Comment

Shouldn't hurt anything. Just using the truck's charging system to charge the battery. However, idling for 20 minutes isn't going to do shit. The alternator does put out much power until at least 2500 RPM.

Comment

I'm having similar problems. It has something to do with fuse 12 and 21. My car will crank but wont start if there both in but if I pull one of them it fires up. Then I put it back in and everything works?

Comment

the problems you state are from an alternator that isn't charging the battery. with the car running, check the voltage at the battery. you need to see ~13.8v.

check your grounds (battery, alternator, whatever)
                    check the voltage regulator

autozone and the like will test your alt for free if you take it in. you might need a new battery if you wore yours out
                    James
                    '88 M3

Comment

Working...
                    X