Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Board Computer???

how in the hell do i take it out???

You have to pull out the heater control panel. THIS is fun.

Get yourself a couple phillips screwdrivers, ones with fine point tips. One needs to be a very short one, the other, it doesn't matter. You will also need a pocket knife or a VERY flatheaded screwderiver.

- The first 2 screws are the hardest to get to. They are at the bottom of the panel, inside and at the top of the storage space behind the ashtray, there are 2. You will need the short screwdriver for these.

- Once you have these out (in about 20 minutes), you need to pop out the switches above your stereo. Get the knife or whatever behind an edge of one of them and pry it out. The others you should just be able to get your fingers in an pop them out. There are 2 more screws behind those.

- Pull the 3 little knobs off of the sliders for the heater. This is where you need the knife or flathead screwdriver. Get under an edge of the little plate that the sliders stick through, and pull it out. BE CAREFUL because it can and will break if you pull too hard. behind that, there are 4 screws. Take them out.

- Once you have all the screws out, you can kind of work the panel out, it's not just going to fall right out. Now you can't pull it out very far, it's still held in by the wiring that connects to the OBC. Get someone with skinny arms (or if you do) and pull the wiring harness off the OBC. It has a little switch that you flip, and it should pop right out.

- After that, there are 4 screws that hold the OBC in. Undo those, and it's out.

Comment

god damn thanks alot for that info i will try it when get home

i sure HATE E30's they are sooooo hard to work on, it took me 3 ours to put in my Mono wiper

Comment

Originally posted by AndreNY
        i sure HATE E30's they are sooooo hard to work on, it took me 3 ours to put in my Mono wiper
        I know what you mean. Until Jordan and I started doing all the work on my E30, I used to wonder why the shop charged $65 per hour labor.

I don't wonder anymore. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed88
          You have to pull out the heater control panel. THIS is fun.

Get yourself a couple phillips screwdrivers, ones with fine point tips. One needs to be a very short one, the other, it doesn't matter. You will also need a pocket knife or a VERY flatheaded screwderiver.

- The first 2 screws are the hardest to get to. They are at the bottom of the panel, inside and at the top of the storage space behind the ashtray, there are 2. You will need the short screwdriver for these.

- Once you have these out (in about 20 minutes), you need to pop out the switches above your stereo. Get the knife or whatever behind an edge of one of them and pry it out. The others you should just be able to get your fingers in an pop them out. There are 2 more screws behind those.

- Pull the 3 little knobs off of the sliders for the heater. This is where you need the knife or flathead screwdriver. Get under an edge of the little plate that the sliders stick through, and pull it out. BE CAREFUL because it can and will break if you pull too hard. behind that, there are 4 screws. Take them out.

- Once you have all the screws out, you can kind of work the panel out, it's not just going to fall right out. Now you can't pull it out very far, it's still held in by the wiring that connects to the OBC. Get someone with skinny arms (or if you do) and pull the wiring harness off the OBC. It has a little switch that you flip, and it should pop right out.

- After that, there are 4 screws that hold the OBC in. Undo those, and it's out.
          A picture is always nice for guidance.... SAVE ALL COMMENTS ABOUT MY TAPE PLAYER

Comment

Thanks for the pic, e9nine. That should help out a lot.

Comment

E30's are very good to help you practice some of you "less desireable" Vocabulary :P

Comment

to take out a 13 button OBC, it's not necessary to remove the entire heater panel...
                pull out your head unit and one or two of the switches, buttons, above the head unit. Take the two left screws of the OBc off being careful not to drop them.
                Open your glove compartment, take off the plastic cover on the far left and reach behind the OBC with your short screwdriver and loosen both screws on the right. Now push the left side of your OBC in, and slide it to the left. It's cake.
                Installation is reverse of removal
                On the contrary, I think that e30s are very easy to work on, everything is easy to access, save for the windsheild wipers, but even that's not too bad.
                It took me all but 30 minutes to swap in my OBC. At the shop the standard practice is to remove the heater panel face, although I prefer my way.
                hth
                -bryson

Comment

Working...
                X