brake/clutch fluid leak from bellhousing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake/clutch fluid leak from bellhousing

last week, i went out to my car and the clutch stuck to the floor when i got in. i rolled it down to a buddies place and got underneath it, but could not see where it was leaking from. i had just driven ~300 miles the day before. so i filled up the brake fluid and the clutch eventually regained pressure after pumping it.

the same thing happened the next week, but i wasn't driving the car much, so i saw a puddle underneath. since my clutch was dead again, i rolled down to my buddies place and checked things out. i had bought a new slave cylinder, but it looked fine, there were no leaks from there.

i filled up the fluid again and let the car sit for a day. the next day, there was a small puddle coming from right under the bellhousing. i did not see any other leaks from anywhere else. it did not look like it was leaking from either side of the transmission and then dripping from the bellhousing. both sides were clean.

**CLIFFS**
    i have a slow leak that is coming from the bellhousing. fluid drains down to the MIN line after a couple days. no leaks from anywhere else.

so what do i need to replace?
    should i replace the slave cylinder even though it doesn't leak?
    am i going to have to drop the trans?

you need new headlights prob

how is the clutch line?
    ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Originally posted by asubimmer View Post
      you need new headlights prob

how is the clutch line?
      what?

the clutch line is fine as far as i can tell.

Comment

Slave cylinder

Comment

have you actually removed the slave cylinder from the bellhousing to have a look at it? the hydraulic actuator where the fluid would leak from is mostly in the bellhousing so you wouldnt see anything on the outer end of the cylinder that's why the fluid is leaking from the bellhousing

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Remove the slave and inspect it. That's probably the culprit.

-Erik

Comment

thanks guys. i'll swap in a new slave cylinder when i get a chance.

Comment

Working...
              X