Odometer and trip stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odometer and trip stopped working

Just pulled cluster. Gears all look good. Speedometer still working. All other gauges working. Looked for "cold solders" on circuit board with magnifying glass. Didn't see any. AND--- I rotated the gears and they all seemd to work--odometer worked, etc... Could a gear been a little stuck or are we looking at an electrical problem? Any input is greatly appreciated..
    DLM
    Last edited by dlmrun2002; 07-30-2007, 05:36 AM.

Sounds electrical. I owned a 325is with the same problem. I just put up with it until i sold it. I should ask the New owner how he fixed it.
    sigpic

Comment

Swapped speedometers--Same Prob

Speedometers works.... not odometer or tripometer with a different speedometer. Bad circuit board? Possible faulty code plug? WTF..
      DLM

Comment

Is your clock working?

97 Cosmos M3

Comment

I have the same problem, I could use some help too :)

Comment

I had this problem when I first bought my car when I was 16 (5 years ago). IIRC, everything on the cluster worked except for my odometer and mpg meter. I checked the fuse box, and one of them was blown. I replaced it, and everything worked. The clock and obc are connected to the same fuse as the odometer and the mpg meter, so thats why I asked if it worked or not.

97 Cosmos M3

Comment

CLock works... All gauges work.. minus odometer and tripometer....

Comment

have the same problem. I have to pull my gauge to look but i think something is loose because it was working fine until i went to reset the trip and now neither odometers work while everything else is perfect.
                sigpic

Comment

Well after swapping speedometers, I exercised the si board and control plug connections and odometer is working. Never actualy had to reset si board also. Lets see how long it holds.
                  DLM :)

Comment

Yay!

97 Cosmos M3

Comment

NICE M3 Matt.....
                      DLM :drink:
                      Last edited by dlmrun2002; 07-30-2007, 05:36 AM.

Comment

I have a similar problem. My tach and odometer/trip aren't working, I just bought this car, what should my first steps be to try and fix it? I thought about just replacing it but I don't even know if that's the problem.

Comment

tach not working is si batt symptom

Loosing tach and mpg gauge is related to bad batteries in si board. Plus the inability to reset service and oil lights is another sympton of bad si batteries. I'd look there first..Maybe try a reset..

DLM

Comment

Originally posted by dlmrun2002 View Post
                            Well after swapping speedometers, I exercised the si board and control plug connections and odometer is working. Never actualy had to reset si board also. Lets see how long it holds.
                            DLM :)

so I'm having the same issue. at first I had broken gears. I replaced all those, put everything back together and my odometer and tripmeter still doesn't work. everything else is working, speedometer, MPG gauge.

So dlmrun2002, how did you exactly exercise the SI board. and did you just swap the speedometer portion and nothing else? anybody have a picture of the SI board?

thanks
                            -Brian

Comment

I just pulled it out and put it back in( re-seat connectors). Didn't swap speedo. Exercised control plug to( (re-seat again). HTH
                              DLM

Comment

Working...
                              X