so i just swapped clusters...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so i just swapped clusters...

thinking bad si board batteries are the reason for my non functional tach and fuel gauge. well low and behold, swap to a known working cluster (at least thats what the seller told me) and its doing the same exact thing. temp and spedo read fine, tach doesnt work at all, and fuel gauge freaks out ocasionally, but doenst work the majority of the time

uoigshaugihnfsuioghfoudi :hitler:

anyone have any suggestions?
    Originally posted by Mr Watsonsilver
    driving boards?

uhh, its definetaly isnt your gauges.

good luck!

Comment

awesome! thanks guy!

ok, so now i have what i will refer to as "the phantom tach jump"

after i turn the car off, the tack will jump, and sit at around 700 rpms for a few seconds, then go back down to zero.

i swear to god the fucking thing is taunting me.
      driving boards?

Comment

Little more info needed - did you do any major work prior to this happening?

Has it been this way the entire time you had this car?

Instant onset - Slowly became permanent - One gauge went bad at a time - All at once ? What?

It's just random guessing without enough background info.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

Kind of makes me wonder if the DME is bad. The tach signal comes from the DME and a fault in it can kill the tach.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

i bought the car like this.

the car is a pre built 2.7 stroker, 88 s-eta bottom end i head, complete with extremely haggared wiring.

im just curious as to where to start troubleshooting and what to look for. i know the tach runs off of the coil, curious as to where are the wires ran, colors, ect...
            Last edited by JAM; 07-03-2007, 03:36 PM.
            driving boards?

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
              Kind of makes me wonder if the DME is bad. The tach signal comes from the DME and a fault in it can kill the tach.
              where would the dme be located? how would i check to see if it is malfunctioning?
              driving boards?

Comment

I'm going to make an educated guess and say it has something to do with the "haggared" wiring. It sounds to me like a ground issue. Check the ground tabs under the driver side of the dash.

You will find the DME directly above the glovebox. The only easy way to test it is to swap in another and see if the problem persists.

Good luck.
                Originally posted by Simon S
                When a dream is a dream for too long - it becomes a fantasy..

Comment

jam; it may be the tach wiring, not sure if its correct.

can I get your old tach? i put it in from my wagon, and my wagon wants it back!
                  Originally posted by blunt
                  can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

Check your fuses. If your reverse lights don't work, it is your fuse because my reverse light wires got cut on the driveshaft and this caused the fues that works the tach and also the reverse lights to go.

If not, the wireing you have is bad, but this is probably obvious.
                    Originally posted by cabriodster87
                    "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
                    Originally posted by Kershaw
                    i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

Bringing this thread back because I am having a similar problem with my tach and instruments. My instrument cluster lights up and all the warning indicators work fine. The speedo works great and I think the fuel gauge was working some of the time. The temp gauge is dead. I bought the car this way and have had it on jack stands for a while now so I have not been able to drive it. I noticed that the reverse lights were also out. I was under the car and noticed the reverse light wiring from the transmission has been chafed on the stupid harmonic balancer on the drive shaft. This seems to be my issue from what I have read and searched. The weird thing to me is that my number 10 fuse is not blown and the tach does not come back when I disconnect the the reverse light wiring. Any body out there have the magic cure to bring my instruments back to life? I hate electrical problems...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comment

Working...
                      X