Major Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major Trouble

Ok, so I need to remove my airbag steering wheel to get access to the guage cluster so that I can replace a couple bulbs. The problem with this is that it is impossible to undo the torx screws on the back of the wheel as they have been rounded out.

Instead of the * indentation it is just flat metal, nothing to grab a hold off. Is there any possible way I can get this thing off? Is there any way the gauge cluster can come out while the wheel stays in?

I realize the use of a drill and tap set would be in order, but it is a relatively tight space...And even smaller screws that I am trying to take out.

sears drill out or screw out reverse thread drill bit maybe

Comment

Are you sure the cluster won't come out without taking out the steering wheel to begin with? I don't have an airbag but I removed the instrument cluster several times in E30's and never had to remove the steering wheel.
      It's not an old car. It's an old friend.

Comment

Instrument cluster removal

I have a 1989 325ic without airbag. Cluster can be removed without removing wheel. Try it before removing wheel.

1991 325ic and 1991 318is

Comment

I have tried with the steering wheel in. Problem is my larger than average hands, and the fact that the cluster does not have the clearance to come all the way out. I am too afraid to pull really hard, incase something else brakes and I still would not be able to pull it out.

Comment

Originally posted by CalypsoRot View Post
            I have tried with the steering wheel in. Problem is my larger than average hands, and the fact that the cluster does not have the clearance to come all the way out. I am too afraid to pull really hard, incase something else brakes and I still would not be able to pull it out.
            When you make sure that the cluster is unsecured, pull it from the top part to make it turn facing downwards. Remove the two cable plugs and pull it out from the side. It should fit just fine, your hands have nothing to do with it.
            It's not an old car. It's an old friend.

Comment

Yeah, dont need to take out the steering wheels. There's even less room on E36's and i've had about 6 clusters in it. Turn the wheel to the right and angle the cluster so it can be pulled out. It wont just fall out thats for sure.

Comment

I'll try that today for sure...It isn't the actual steering wheel that is stopping the cluster, it is the plastic moulding on the steering wheel shaft that keeps it in place.

I will go and try to take it out again though.

Comment

change your avatar and I will get back to you.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by monty View Post
                    change your avatar and I will get back to you.
                    LOL. Sorry man, I love the PNW but I am Pittsburgh born and raised. Would you prefer an avatar of Parker's 75 YD. run in Super Bowl XL?

Comment

Ok, pulled everything to get to the cluster. Cluster still will not come out because of the plastic moulding that covers the steering shaft (Plastic rises just in between the wheel and front fascia of gauge)

If I pulled EXTREMELY hard, I have a feeling it might flip down so that I could get access, yet I don't want to do that in fear of tearing or cutting something. The position of the wheel really has nothing to do with the problem. Any ideas?

Comment

get

get a replacement steering wheel... deploy the airbag manually by jabbing it with something sharp... hahahaha just kidding. but, if you dont want the aribag, just deployed it, then cut it to access the bolt underneather and unbolt i.t

Comment

^^ oh man, dont deploy it. what a mess that would be. i took out the cluster on my airbag car without removing the steering wheel. it can be done. just have to do it the way described above, with alotta patience.
                          IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by God View Post
                            When you make sure that the cluster is unsecured, pull it from the top part to make it turn facing downwards. Remove the two cable plugs and pull it out from the side. It should fit just fine, your hands have nothing to do with it.
                            + 1What he said. Just take it slow and easy and it'll come out. It does require a bit of force sometimes, but if you don't jerk it, it'll come.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
                            When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's £3.95 per minute.
                            "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson"
                            Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Comment

Bentley Manuals are awesome there are two knurled nuts on the back of the plastic piece between the steering wheel cover and the trim around the cluster. You can get to them by taking out the knee bolster. The Bentley gives you step-by-step instructions.

Yay for a Steelers fan!
                              '89 325i track sloot
                              '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Working...
                              X