Adjustable Voltage Regulator; better idle and brigther headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjustable Voltage Regulator; better idle and brigther headlights

Found about this little gem while reading this month local BMWCCA newsletter: http://davebarton.com/AdjustableVoltage.html

I bought the Internal Adjustable Voltage Regulator. Installation took all of 15minutes and has made a difference. Brighter running lights and improved more consistant idle. Interesting how these little things make a difference. Regulated voltage is now 14.1 volts at 1.5k rpm no load and 13.9 with high beams, ac, stereo on. I can dial it up to 14.5 volts if need be.

The stock regulator was down to 7mm on one brush and below 5 on the other so it needed replacement.
    sigpic
    - 0.05s and 0.1s FTW!!!

With a new stock voltage reg, I get a hair over 14 at idle if I blip the throttle once. I have voltmeter and my voltage doesnt doesnt move around too much.

I am kind of skeptical about the adjustablity and if that would be a good thing for your whole electrical system. An electrical fire is probably the damaging thing that can happen to your car short of totalling it.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657387

Comment

It is a same price alternative to the stock regulator and capable of adjustability within specs of the system. 14.1volts at 1500 rpm is within spec. Most of the original older alternators have a hard time pushing past 13.5 volts so this reg provides the ability to get to 14.1.

The extra 0.5 volts allows you to get that extra bit of performance. The extra voltage (within spec) helps the ignition coil re-charge faster thus providing better spark at higher rpms.

As with any mod, if you dont know what you are doing or do not have the correct tools you can damage the system. For those having a hard time getting voltage to read above 13 volts with new batteries and regulators this might be a good alternative. Just make sure you adjust the thing is dialed in properly...
      sigpic
      - 0.05s and 0.1s FTW!!!

Comment

Very interesting...I might get one. But that web design - Uggggg...
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
          Very interesting...I might get one. But that web design - Uggggg...
          true that bout barfed when i clicked the link
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
          Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Talk about an involuntary heaving action for that site...

Comment

Working...
            X