ignition switch removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ignition switch removal?

i'm parting out my 85 and would like to keep the ignition switch out of it. So how do i remove? And i did search and found nothing.

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

What's up Jason? If I remember correctly, put the key in the ignition and turn one "click". There is a small hole where you release the tumbler assembly. It's either in the face of the tumbler, or on the side of the part the tumbler sits in. You stick a paper clip or something similar and pull the tumbler out with the key. I looked for pics, but could find anything. If you can't get it I'll see if I can take some pics of mine.

Comment

Thanks, i'll try that before it gets dark here.

Edit: Thanks, it popped right out of there.
      Last edited by JasonC; 10-14-2007, 03:53 PM.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

This was sent to me by ErykTheRead

Basically you need a jumbo paperclip. They are the bigger ones, around 1.7 inches long. Bend about half of it straight. Snip the end to a point. Put the key in the cylinder and rotate it to the first position, about 30 degrees. Jam the paperclip down in to the small opening in the lock cylinder between the center metal plate and the black surround. Jiggle key back and forth, and cylinder will fall out.

If you don't have the small semicircular opening in the plate, you have the old style ignition cylinder. You have to remove the covers on the underside of the steering column and you will see a little circle on the side of the lock cylinder. Turn the key 30 degrees, push in button, and cylinder comes out.

Hope this helps...

Comment

So do I have to take the steering wheel off to do this?
          I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Paypal: vdang5@gmail.com

Delta Auto Care
          2875-C Towerview Road
          Herndon, VA

My Feedback Thread: Evil_Twin

Comment

Originally posted by evil_twin View Post
            So do I have to take the steering wheel off to do this?
            Yes. And the plastic trim around the column.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Thanks Jason. I stuck a paper clip into that half moon thing and I can't get anything. I can't pull it.

My car just doesn't let me turn the key to the 'start' position. But I ripped off the lower trim to notice the ignition plug thing, there is a white plastic stick piece that moves, and I can pull it out and push it in. When I turn the key, I see it move slightly.

Could you by chance have an idea on whats wrong?
              I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Delta Auto Care
              2875-C Towerview Road
              Herndon, VA

Comment

I think you may be sticking it in the wrong hole. On mine it was a small hole in the cast housing that the cylinder assembly sits in. It is on the top part, not on the bottom part. The hole was alittle bigger then the paper clip itself.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Alright sweet. Time to take out my trusty 22mm and remove all this BS. gah! I can't understand why my car would all of a sudden not let me turn the key. It's almost like when you turn the key twice(if you know what i'm talking about), how it locks you out from grinding the starter.

Delta Auto Care
                  2875-C Towerview Road
                  Herndon, VA

Comment

sorry to bring this back into life, but my 85 318i just started crapping out on me.
                    when i turn the ignition off and pull the key, the engine still runs! the only way to turn it off is to stall it, and when i do, the dash lights, power windows, everything is still on as if the key were still there.
                    do you think this might be the ignition switch issue?
                    thanks and sorry for the threadjack,
                    alen

Comment

sounds like your ignition switch separated from the tumbler.

Does anyone know if An early model tumbler will fit a late model car. 85 to 91 is what im after.

1987 PRO-3 car /1990 325is (2.7i Concours)

Comment

Ignition lock problem

Originally posted by evil_twin View Post
                        Thanks Jason. I stuck a paper clip into that half moon thing and I can't get anything. I can't pull it.

My car just doesn't let me turn the key to the 'start' position. But I ripped off the lower trim to notice the ignition plug thing, there is a white plastic stick piece that moves, and I can pull it out and push it in. When I turn the key, I see it move slightly.

Could you by chance have an idea on whats wrong?
                        Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is EXACTLY the same problem that I am having. What exactly did you do to fix this? Do I need to replace that small white plastic piece? It feels like that piece is stopping the key from turning all the way.

I think that white/green plastic piece is what may be causing me trouble, but I am not certain
                        Last edited by TheKilrRabbit; 12-28-2013, 06:57 PM. Reason: added a pic link

Comment

Working...
                        X