Car loading up with fuel on start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car loading up with fuel on start

Ignition system is entirely brand new, Blaster 2 coil w/BavAuto wires and fresh Bosch Supers. Car in question is an '88 Seta.

On cold start I can get it to start about 50% of the time, the other 50% I have to hop out, pull the fuel pump relay to clear the fuel out of the motor, etc. etc. and then it will start normally.

Hot starts this usually isn't a problem, but once in a while it will do it.

I've got a new coolant temp sensor I'm going to throw in it just to see if that's part of the problem, but I've got a feeling it's not. I'm thinking of trying the AFM next as the car appears to be running rich all the time, whether it's cold or not.

Any ideas?

Edit: Also to add, I know the car's getting spark, I've tested all six cylinders and they're showing STRONG spark at startup.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

The DME's temp sensor could cause this, as could a bad FPR. The sensor isn't all that expensive so changing it is advisable. But I'd also recommend running a fuel pressure and delivery test.

I'd also suggest checking for a leaking injectors since this appears to happen only when the car has sat for a while. That's done by pulling the plugs and fuel pump relay and cranking over the engine. If fuel sprays from the plug holes you have leaking injectors.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

FPR was another idea I had. Thanks jlevie, I was out of ideas and needed somewhere else to look. I'll swap the sensor out today and see what happens.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
        I'd also suggest checking for leaking injectors since this appears to happen only when the car has sat for a while. That's done by pulling the plugs and fuel pump relay and cranking over the engine. If fuel sprays from the plug holes you have leaking injectors.
        +1

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
        When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's £3.95 per minute.
        "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson"
        Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Comment

Working...
        X