90 325i fuel gauge not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90 325i fuel gauge not working

started it sat morning, fuel went to full, down to half, up to full, down to empty, back and forth. fueled up.....took about 1/2 tank. been pegged at full for 2 days and probably 125 miles, hasnt moved. swapped fuel gauge out today.....for a working one off an 87 325i and seemed to be working when i got it put back together, reading at 3/4 tank. drove to work 45 miles and needle is pegged at full again....

thoughts? float?

thanks.

I am currently having the same problem with my '91 325i and have changed out the both tank sending units. And still have the always full reading so I have just gotten my hands on some fuel gauges that I will be swapping out this week to see if it fixes my problem.

I will tell you there is 2 different fuel gauges for the e30's. One is for the 12 gallon tank (pre '87 ? )and one is for the 16 gallon tank (post '87 ? ). I am not postive on the cut off years for the different tanks and what models they were used in. So you need to make sure the gauge you use is a 16 gallon tank since yours is for sure the 16 gallon

Comment

cut off was 8/86 I believe, which is when BMW changed a lot both electrical and with going to the 16 gallon tank with a single pump
      85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

replaced from an 87

yeah the replacement gauge was from a 325i built 2/87, should've been fine, guess i will move on to the sender...

Comment

Working...
        X