My cruise control to work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My cruise control to work

The car is 88'325is and orginal was an auto,pulled that ,installed 5speed. Pulled that and installed s52 w/zf gearbox. Now over a year later I want the cruise to work again and won't! Question , why do I need the clutch switch for the cc if my car orginally worked as an auto ?? Seems to me all should have worked without clutch switch (cancels off brake pedal) and reconnection cruise cable to engine trottle . Question ,is there a lite in dash cluster telling crused is engadged ,It's been a long time and I forgot? Fuse has power, what do I recheck next ?? Any and all help is needed, thanks joe

From memory, the neutral safety circuit has to be closed to start, but open for cruise control to work. On a car with a manual transmission that function is provided by the clutch switch (closed when the clutch is depressed and open when the pedal is up).
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

cruise control to work

Thanks for responding, That might be the answer (the wiring/rewiring of the safety switch) . Maybe I bypassed it incorrectly ? How should/could it be done with bypassing the clutch switch ?? anyone ? thanks joe

Comment

bump

Comment

If you are asking how this could be done w/o incorporating the clutch switch, the answer would be to substitute a toggle switch for the clutch switch. But then you have to remember to flip the switch one way for cruise to work and the other way to be able to start the car. And if you disengage the clutch while cruise control is active you could run the engine up to the rev limiter.

The best solution is to install the clutch switch, locate the connector it mates with (every one I've done has had the connector under the dash near the pedal box with a jumper installed), and connect up the clutch switch.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

CC to work

Yes I see what you mean and that's what I'll do ! Thanks for that help. joe

Comment

Working...
            X