Starter Sticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Sticks

Now that its getting cold, my starter seems to be sticking on once the engine starts. It normally stays on for a few seconds, even if I turn the engine off. I'm sure this is terrible for lots of things, namely the starter. I replaced the ignition switch/key tumber and that didn't seem to fix it. Just thought I should mention that I got the ignition switch from another car, so its used, but I can't imagine that both are bad. What do you guys think?
    1985 325e - 5000 RPM's of Fury

I think the odds of both ignition switches having the same problem are awfully low. Therefore the problem is likely to be in the starter itself. Either a bad solenoid or a bad Bendix. Either way it sounds like a replacement starter is called for.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I think I have a used starter lying around here somewhere. I guess I can give that a try once finals are over. Thanks for the input.
      1985 325e - 5000 RPM's of Fury

Comment

My starter did that a couple winters ago. I had to disconnect the battery to get the damn thing to stop! By the next winter, it was turning the engine over quite slowly and then just died.

Might as well get a replacement starter and keep it handy because your starter is probably not going to last much longer.

Comment

Starter. Either the solenoid is sticking or the drive gear is sticking when it's out to spin the engine. Either way I'd replace the whole thing. They last pretty long, so I wouldn't be afraid of a used one if money is tight. If it keeps doing that, eventually it will stick engaged like the above poster had, with the engine running. That will self-destruct the starter in short order.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X