Heater core alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heater core alternatives?

My 84 318i needs a new heater core. The best deal i could find for one is 190 bucks. No aftermarket company seems to make them anymore. A heater core is a heater core so i'm wondering: Has anyone ever used a heater core out of another car and plummed it in. The core would have to have the same or similar dimensions so that it would slide into the box. I'm pretty desperate and dont want to spend more on the heater core then I did on the car. Help is greatly appreciated Thanks.
    65k 325i Automatic
    1985 M635CSI Frank Fahey Stroker
    1970 BMW 2002 (in restoration)

alternative

Is it leaking antifreeze? i've just had that problem, you can jump the hoses and still drive. just buy some anti fog for like 3 bucks and you have a free alternative.

Comment

Are you sure its the core and not just the valve? I got a valve and the aluminum tubes from the JY for like 8 bucks now my heater works great. I also think my back has recovered from putting the damned thing in.

Comment

I live in NH and its about 20 degrees outside right now. I believe my heater core is leaking because when I took the heater core out, there was coolant in the slot where the heater core slides in. The coolant gets pushed through the vents which leads me to believe that it is in fact the core. I need a heater core because I do live in new england, but I dont want to pay 190 bucks for one. i was wondering if a nyone knew of any other heater cores of the same dimensions that I could retrofit. I'm suprised no one has done this yet as it seems like it would be pretty easy.
        65k 325i Automatic

Comment

The above implication was that when a valve/pipe leak hapens, it porduces the same/similar symptoms to the core leaking. Check the pipe/valve, was all the guy above was trying to say.

Comment

i didnt know that... coolant gets into the heater core box?
            65k 325i Automatic

Comment

Risky, but...

I bought a used one for my race car, was less than $50. Ran some Alumaseal through it after installation to add a bit of security. It's been fine. I offer this as a short term solution if you're strapped for cash. Buying a new one is really the best solution though.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X