Rough Idle and Code 1271

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rough Idle and Code 1271

I've been having a few problems with a '91 318is.

The idle from a cold start sometimes struggles, and if I don't put some throttle on, the motor will die. However, I only have to keep the throttle on for about 10-15 seconds before the idle maintains around 850rpm. After this point the motor behaves normally. This is after a quick cleaning of the ICV, which I'm going to guess probably needs a bit more of a cleaning. Any thoughts? I'm very confident that there are no vacuum leaks, the hoses are all only a couple of years old and look almost new.

If I let the car idle for a bit, the car throws the Check Engine light. The code that I'm given at start up is 1271 (Ignition Coil 1). The plugs are nearly brand new, and I had the coil pack out a few months ago, and it appeared to be all right. The plug wires have never been changed, would this seem to be a culprit of these sorts of problems? What's the general consensus about brand of plug wire? Also, what else should I be on the look out for based on the 1271 code?

Thanks in advance!
    The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

1271= "Break or short in the final stage ignition wiring." So I'd start at the plug wires.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
    When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's £3.95 per minute.
    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson"
    Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Comment

Are the Bosch wires available at typical auto parts stores all right?

Comment

I suppose they'd be servicable enough. Never bought any wires from NAPA, Autozone etc for my E30's, but if they're Bosch they should be the same.

Autozone's Offerings

Cheaper Here Though

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's £3.95 per minute.

Comment

I just updated the wires with some Magnecor ones, and it's still throwing the code. The car feels great though -- the idle is perfect and there is no more check light, so is this really a problem?
          Last edited by hamann318is; 02-20-2008, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Nope. Disconnect the + battery cable for a couple of hours and I'll bet you don't see the code again. Of course after doing that it may run a little rough while the ecu re-learns everything. Or at least that's how the M20's do. I don't know if the M42's work the same way or not.

Comment

Working...
            X