Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle problem.

Ok, So heres my problem

I start my car and it automatically revs to about 3500 rpm and sits there for like 10-20 seconds, then it drops down to 1000 and bounces from 1000 - 1500.

Unplugging the ICM doesn't do anything and neither does unplugging the throttle control servo at the bottom of the TB..

I'm thinking the ICM is shot. Does this make sense?
    1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Originally posted by SamE30e View Post
    Ok, So heres my problem

I start my car and it automatically revs to about 3500 rpm and sits there for like 10-20 seconds, then it drops down to 1000 and bounces from 1000 - 1500.

Unplugging the ICM doesn't do anything and neither does unplugging the throttle control servo at the bottom of the TB..

I'm thinking the ICM is shot. Does this make sense?
    Your most likely correct. Don't know what you unplugged at the bottom of the TB though, your IAC should be over your valve cover on a bracket IIRC

Pop the ICM out and open it up (it can be a pain in the ass) Bet you will find a very obviously roasted transistor confirming diagnosis.
    -Dave
    2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

I think it might be the ICV. I plugged the hose going to the elbow before the tb and the rev's dropped. So temporarily I clamped a mini pair of vice grips to plug the line partially and it idles properly now.

Would that make it the ICV?
      1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Not necessarily. It should default to a wide open position.

I forget the exact number, but motronic has a very low rev limiter for when the idle switch is closed. That hunting idle is actually a rev limiter bounce. That shows that your idle switch in your TPS is working, so your ICM and IAC SHOULD be controlling your idle. Etas are known for failures at the ICM, due to improper cooling of the transistor that controls current to the IAC. There have been updated modules (I think they have a stripe or something?) that add a more substantial heatsink to it.

I bet if you pull yours, you'll see a charred transistor.
        -Dave

Comment

OT but does anyone know if the early euro models come with an ICM?
          Continuous For Sale Thread
          323i s50

Comment

Mines a green ICM no stripe though. I assume I need a new one.
            1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Until my car warms up I have to stay on the gas lol, pain in the ass man.
              1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by SamE30e View Post
                Mines a green ICM no stripe though. I assume I need a new one.

Got me. I always checked by taking them apart. It was pretty obvious at that point what the issue was.

As far as early vs. late, no idea. Got an engine bay pic?
                -Dave

Comment

I might pull mine apart and check it, right now it's alright when the cars warm but its a bitch to get started.
                  1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Starts perfect when you hold the throttle open a bit though, right? if not check out your thermo-time switch and 7th injector
                    -Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X