Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine stopped suddenly, this ones a btch

Anyone have a similar problem? I have a 1990, 325iC,

She had been running fine until I was driving at about 45-55 mph one day then just immediately stops running- no warnings, didn't throw any fault codes either. Will start and idle well except it's only for about 3 seconds, maybe 5 seconds if it's been sitting. thinking it's fuel delivery, I jumped the fuel pump but it's runnin.

Cap and rotor replaced within the year.
    I've replaced the main and fuel relays since this happened- same symptoms.
    Does a bad pump put out a fault code???

I guess the fuel pump is next but am I missing something? any ideas, I'm in over my head at this point.
    thanks
    Last edited by Rufusbird; 01-20-2008, 10:31 PM.

check the injector harness connector. mine was lose, and it would stall. it's under the intake manifold.. round thing, twist-lock.

Comment

Originally posted by emi325i View Post
      check the injector harness connector. mine was lose, and it would stall. it's under the intake manifold.. round thing, twist-lock.
      Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Comment

That C191 connector below the intake...if a certain wire is corroded, 1/2 your injectors won't fire at all. There is a bank 1 or bank 2 CEL code that may also be set if this condition is found. That kind of failure would give you a tremendous power loss at 50mph. It could also be very intermittent based upon the level of corrosion and the up/down/sideways car vibrations.

Comment

My first suspicion would be a fuel delivery problem (failing pump, clogged filter, obstructed line, etc). That could allow the engine to start, but the fuel flow may be insufficient for normal operation.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
            My first suspicion would be a fuel delivery problem (failing pump, clogged filter, obstructed line, etc). That could allow the engine to start, but the fuel flow may be insufficient for normal operation.
            I checked the injector harness connector and it was clean and tight. Damn that would have been free...

I can't get it through my head that the fuel pump would suddenly stop without any signs like poor performance, power, etc. ??? At this point I think it is fuel delivery but electrical- ECU, reference sensor.

Any other suggestions before I buy a pump? (I'm being really cheap because I'm on disability right now and I have nothing but time, but limited funds.)

thanks for everyones suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by Rufusbird View Post

Any other suggestions before I buy a pump? (I'm being really cheap because I'm on disability right now and I have nothing but time, but limited funds.)

thanks for everyones suggestions
              Being i am also dissabled (MS) and on a budget of some sorts i feel your pain. Do as i did and start simple (cheap) and work up from there. I recently replaced on my 87
              a external pump (MY CAR HAS 2), fuel filter, coil , CPS, AND fuel pump relay for UNDER 100 CLAMS. I also had to do alot of diagnostic as well as basic electrical trouble-shooting which was VERY time consuming.
              IF the car runs consistantly for a few seconds before it stumbles i would point at the fuel filter first. Also theres
              a screen on the in tank pump where the fuel gets picked up at the bottom of the tank. This screen can get clogged with debris from the tank and restricts the flow out until it settles then it will run again. Since you got lots 'o time
              remove and clean your pump and visually verify the cleanliness of your tank. As my tank had the payday blues when i was having these problems there was little if any gas in the tank when i pulled the pump so i syphoned the rest and cleaned the sediment out with a clean rag. Hope this helps a bit, good luck and welcome.
              Last edited by delphini; 01-21-2008, 08:03 PM.
              :pimp:

Comment

Update for anyone interested:

Replaced the fuel filter and the car took throttle to about 3,000 rpm, which it didn't before, and now would sort of run for about 15-30 sec. (Surprised because I'm on top of maintenance I thoutht.) I was now encouraged to spend the money on a new fuel pump, it's running fine with it. Pretty much 'fuel delivery 101'... pump will probably outlast the car, ha, ha

Good to know about the CPS wiring problems people had before me, so learned about that in the process. I'll keep an eye on that wiring/sensor especially if anymore things come up that might be related to it.

Still dumbfounded there were no previous symptoms to a failing pump, just abrupt failure... half the fun of working on my car is figuring it out I guess.

Thanks for the help guys.
                T

Comment

Working...
                X