help replacing front wheel bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help replacing front wheel bearing

I'm getting ready to replace the front hub bearing assembly on my '87 325e. Bentley talks about using a wheel puller and then pressing the new one on. Is this needed? If so did you guys do it yourself or take it to a shop? I've used wheel pullers before so taking it off wouldnt' be a problem, I'm more worried about the process of putting the new one on.

Thanks

"Modern cars may be able to outgun it, but few can match its character, its motorsport spirit, and the way it plasters a huge grin on your face at any speed." - Patrick George

1988 M3 - Track Rat
    1989 325iC M50 Vert
    1989 325i Coupe
    1991 318is
    1995 318ti Club Sport
    2006 330i e90
    2008 Tundra Crewmax

I replaced mine......I dont remember it being hard at all, only thing was my socket i had that would fit the nut, i forgot what size. Was too thick to fit into where the nut was.....so i had to borrow a thin wall one from a friend.....

I didn't use a puller, i jus used a hammer and a small pry bar, and tapped it out. The bearing comes apart but thats ok bcus its no good anyways......and for installing it, jus grease it up, and slip it on......u jus tap it on with ur hands to make sure it goes far enough in. Put the nut, connect the ABS sensor, then put the nut back on, and ur good to go.

Edit: jus saw u have an "e" not sure if its the same......probably is jus witht no ABS

Comment

Thanks T.Dot. I'll probably tear into it tonight if the temperature drops below 95 before dark.

"Modern cars may be able to outgun it, but few can match its character, its motorsport spirit, and the way it plasters a huge grin on your face at any speed." - Patrick George

1988 M3 - Track Rat
      1989 325iC M50 Vert
      1989 325i Coupe
      1991 318is
      1995 318ti Club Sport
      2006 330i e90
      2008 Tundra Crewmax

Comment

30mm Thin walled socket or a ground down 30mm socket is needed.
        There not hard, Air tools help to get that nut off but it can be done with a long breaker bar.
        85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Working...
        X