Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I run out of gas, then my car wont start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I run out of gas, then my car wont start!

I just got me e30 318is a few weeks ago. Yesterday, silly me I run out of gas on my way home from GF's. I realize my gas light doesn't come on to warn me of low fuel. And after putting in 2 gallons of gas from a gas can, my car won't start.

Did I ruin the pump? I had tools with me and popped the rear seat off to see if the pump was coming on when i cranked and it doesn't.

Thanks!
    "you name it I've owned it, 1600,2002,e28,e30,e32,e34(m5),e36,e46(m3)"

It doesnt whirr when the key is in the on position? Are you sure you ran out of gas or the pump just crapped out and acted like you were out of gas. Check fuse number 11, and if thats good check the center relay under the firewall cover just above the intake manifold, thats the fuel pump relay. if its bad you can jumper it and see if the car runs, if it does then there is your problem.
    -Max

Comment

Great info, thank you. NO doesn't pump doesnt whirr, not sure if I actually ran out of gas or if the pump crapped out, or if perhaps the relay stopped.

Comment

Hey guys, so after testing the fuse, relay, and wiring, it turns out to be the pump sure enough. I bought a new one from BMA Oem BMW ($235 ouch!), the car runs great again.

Comment

Try and keep some gas in the tank if you can. I believe that the pumps are partially (if not completely) cooled by the fuel in the tank. They tend to get hot if you don't keep some gas in there, so try and not run it completely dry. Glad you got it sorted out.
          PNW Crew
          90 m3
          06 m5

Comment

Also, if you run the tank right to empty (or close to) you'll pick up all the shit at the bottom of the tank. Can damage the pump, or plug up the fuel filter.

Comment

for some reasons e30 gas tanks like to rust profusely on the inside, getting stuck in your fuel pump, filter and clogging the lines.Blacke30 gave me first hand knowledge of that when he dorifto'd out of a neighborhood and dislodged alot of rust and the pump died...i got to push it

Comment

same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago on my way out to the club,lol!! same exact thing, and you know what really had happened...the car's anti theft had been activated some how???? i didnt know this so i refuled as you did, to no avail. So luckily i thought to take the lead off the battery and eureka!!! started like a champ.
                Took me 45 to actually run 1.5mile to my house and back to the car twice. first to get gas, then to get tools,lol!! all in 25 degrees..great night!
                this may not help your situatio cause it look like u already have it pegged, but maybe for others who read later

Originally posted by vespam5 View Post
                I just got me e30 318is a few weeks ago. Yesterday, silly me I run out of gas on my way home from GF's. I realize my gas light doesn't come on to warn me of low fuel. And after putting in 2 gallons of gas from a gas can, my car won't start.

Did I ruin the pump? I had tools with me and popped the rear seat off to see if the pump was coming on when i cranked and it doesn't.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by RIDEOUTBOY View Post
                  same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago on my way out to the club,lol!! same exact thing, and you know what really had happened...the car's anti theft had been activated some how???? i didnt know this so i refuled as you did, to no avail. So luckily i thought to take the lead off the battery and eureka!!! started like a champ.
                  Took me 45 to actually run 1.5mile to my house and back to the car twice. first to get gas, then to get tools,lol!! all in 25 degrees..great night!
                  this may not help your situatio cause it look like u already have it pegged, but maybe for others who read later
                  let me guess...you rode with a girl? ...mine loved to push teh buttons in the old 325is

Comment

Working...
                  X