eta top speed? how to raise it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eta top speed? how to raise it?

I feel uncomfortable going any faster than 85-90 in the eta because i feel like the loudness of the car somehow equates to unhealthiness...

what's the official top speed of a stock eta?
    What are ways to raise it?
    Changing the gear ratios so that they're longer (i don't know how this is done)?
    or are their other ways?

Thanks

-Mike
    1985 325e
    mods:
    Powerflex CABs
    MOMO Corse Exhaust
    euro bumpers with BBS front spoiler
    e36 m3 shifter
    uuc clutch stop

eta's allready have 2.79 and 2.93 rear ends in them. So putting in an even higher gear, i don't think the car would even pull itself.

And i think the top speed is like 120-125? with a tail wind..

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

What do you mean by "loudness"?

Best cheap powa increase is a chip.

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

loudness=the high rpm's
        i think i'm at about 4000 rpm when it's at 90. i think. I forget.

will a chip increase the top speed?
        1985 325e
        mods:
        Powerflex CABs
        MOMO Corse Exhaust
        e36 m3 shifter
        uuc clutch stop

Comment

4K and it sounds like ass? WTF, man, what is wrong with the car?

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

bigger wheels/tires diameter
            http://www.kingofeurope.net/2010/

Comment

pulled 105 on the way back from the salem meet a couple weeks ago. this was post new suspension, brakes etc. had a lil to go but not much, it would have taken awhile to get the momentum to go any faster.

Comment

My 100% stock eta goes about 115-120 tops.

A performance chip will eliminate your top speed and raise your rev limiter a bit. Or something like that..

you could raise your top speed by lightening it, I'm sure, the trouble is figuring out what to take off/make lighter but there are tons of ways

Comment

I've gotten mine to about 125mph on a flat road with a aggressive street tire on.
                  1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by jerods87e30 View Post
                    My 100% stock eta goes about 115-120 tops.

A performance chip will eliminate your top speed and raise your rev limiter a bit. Or something like that..

you could raise your top speed by lightening it, I'm sure, the trouble is figuring out what to take off/make lighter but there are tons of ways
                    Top Speed on an ETA is governed like most cars by how fast the engine/wheels rotate and how far each wheel rotation travels. Hence an ETA that was 2700lbs has the same top speed as a 2400 pound eta.
                    Only way to go faster
                    1 Install an i motor 6,500 rpm vs 5,000
                    2 put taller tires bigger rim/taller series
                    3 get another gear in the transmission.
                    4 make it aerodynamic, but you are still limited by the above factors.
                    Here is an online calculator to get the theoretical top speed, remember drag and engine power make this lower.
                    1989 Cirrus Blau coupe Racing Dynamics wheels and a Volvo Spoiler.

Comment

^Can you explain your first 2 lines?

Are you saying the extra weight would only have a factor in how long it takes to attain top speed?

Thinking of a similar analogy, i would think that it doesn't work that way. If i had to push or pull a cart with no load in it, I would be able to run faster than I would be able to if the same cart was full of manure. I have the same power output and the cart has the same dimensions so the only thing hindering me would be the weight.

Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe the gears matter?
                      Please explain, maybe you've got some magical physics formula. I hated physics :)
                      1985 325e
                      mods:
                      Powerflex CABs
                      MOMO Corse Exhaust
                      e36 m3 shifter
                      uuc clutch stop

Comment

To a certain extent, acceleration is the only thing affected by weight

Closing SOON!

Comment

Bigger tires may make you go a little faster, but its going to read slower on your dash since the speedo can't compensate for wheel size...if a big number is what you want to see on your dash, put some go cart wheels on it...also I'm pretty sure the advertised top speed for the eta was 118mph

Comment

^that was a silly response :T
                            you really think i asked this question because a big number is what i want to see? please...
                            1985 325e
                            mods:
                            Powerflex CABs
                            MOMO Corse Exhaust
                            e36 m3 shifter
                            uuc clutch stop

Comment

why do you want to go this fast in an eta to begin with?

or ANY e30 for that matter

I honestly dont see any pont in going anywhere above say 110ish....especially since its going to take you a solid 20 minutes to reach those speeds
                              Originally posted by ebelements
                              Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.

Comment

Working...
                              X