heres a great way to remove rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heres a great way to remove rust

I haven't found large amounts of malt vinegar but I've tried it with 2 bottles and it does get the job done

No
    Fucking
    Way:

Gonna try that shit soon! Thanks!

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I'm skeptical :neutral:... Those shafts had to have pits in them and they came out of there looking brand new. But i do have some rusty parts laying around and i think i have some malt vinegar, so i'll try it on a small piece.

1992 BMW 325iC
      1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
      1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

same thing as using coke. will only work well on surface rust though. I'd rather save myself some time and use a sand blaster.

Comment

I've used both a sand blaster and the malt vinegar. malt vinegar has a high acidity level thats why it eats away at the rust. regular vinegar doesn't do anything its pretty low vs malt vinegar. with sand blasting its some what a lot of work u have to sit there and go back and forth and hit a spot sometimes for a long time and your using a lot of sand vs malt vinegar I can just let it sit over night brush it clean hose it down and it looks like new

Coke has a decent acidity level but i've tried it and it didn't work as well. I think u could get away with using malt vinegar and try just straight acid but I don't know what kind and how diluted it should be etc etc.

I've tried it and the important thing is u do need to leave it sit over night and use a brush and brush it clean, it won't just clean off right away.

you can try electrolysis too but thats a little more involved. if you try electrolysis it should clean off the rust with no brushing needed it'll just unattach it self and u have clean parts the next day.

Comment

thats awesome. next time i need to clean up parts ima try this
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
            Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

hmmm... interesting.

Comment

I think I'd just rather try the electrolytic derusting method as outlined on stovebolt.com

Originally posted by whysimon
                WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

I need kegs and kegs of malt vinegar.

Anyone else tried this?

Comment

I wanna try electrolytic too, sandblasting, electrolytic, and malt vinegar all have there advantages and disadvantages.

malt vinegar is simple pour the stuff on the parts let it soak over night brush off hose off
                    electolytic u have to rig up everything to get power to the parts and hook it up can be kind hard to a lot of parts
                    sandblasting will cut away at the stuff but can get super messy, can sometimes to be to abrasive

maybe I'll do a formal DIY when I can get some spare bmw parts... or I can demo on some subaru stuff I have laying around

Comment

I have heard of this but I've never had a problem with rust seeing that I live in California. Rust isn't a big deal around here.

But hey I'll keep it in mind if I ever get some rust. Or I can just find some rusty shit to test this out on.

Cool trick bro.

E30Fiend
                      Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
                      Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

I'm trying this with a bracket that has rust on it. I only used enuff vinegar to cover part of the bracket. The rest of the vineagr i will use on my french fries :p. I will post picture of it tomorrow after i see what it does from sitting in the stuff overnight. If this does work, sandblasting will be cheaper and faster still.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

don't forget to scrub!

Comment

My findings:

I let it soak overnight and then some. I only let half it of soak (part with the two holes) And here's what i got after about 5-10min. of scrubing.

The same amount of time in the sand blaster,

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

I love my sand blaster!

btw Jason, what is on your front fenders
                              Dan Zickel
                              1995 M3, 1991 318iS, 1987 325iS

Comment

Working...
                              X