Hood alignment / gaps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hood alignment / gaps?

Don't even know if this counts as being "technical", it appears too complex for me... ugh... it's pissing me off. I tried to realign the hood cause the passengers side wasn't lining up quite right where the hood meets the fender and grill near the low-beams. It sat back farther than the driver side.

So I got that spot figured out only to find out that the gaps along the fenders are now pretty uneven... :roll:

Anyone have an easy method of describing what needs to be done / adjusted? Which adjustment spots do what? I feel like a noob, but I messed around with it for like 30 minutes and got frustrated

Am I the only retard that can't seem to get this right?
    Brandon

I'm no expert, but if I'm understanding this right, it sounds like the hood alignment was fine, and it was the fender that needed effing around with.

Would probably have a better idea with pics.
    '84 318i - Lapisblau/Schwarz (in cryosleep)
    '06 330i - Titansilber/Schwarz

Comment

Yeah, without pictures I can understand how it would be difficult to figure out exactly what I'm talking about.

I'll try again w/o pics and if it's still not understandable then I'll just have to get some pics when i get home.

So if you looked at the front of our cars from about the level of where the hood meets the grills, the fenders on either side curve up and along the grills to the corner of the hood. My problem was that my pass. side hood corner was pushed back and the drivers side was stuck out.

After messing around with it, I found the right sets of nuts to loosen to get it all aligned at the corners, but now the gaps between the fenders (both sides) are not right. I think... if I am remembering correctly... the pass. side has a larger gap near the grill getting smaller towards the windshield, and the drivers side is opposite (larger gap near the windshield getting smaller / tighter at the grill area).

It's probably not as noticeable as I'm making it out to be, but it bothers me cause I notice it...
      Brandon

Comment

Yeah, still sounds like a fender issue to me, only now your hood is cocked to the passenger side. It's tough to give advice on this without actually seeing it.

The problem is, if you move a given body part to correct one issue, you can easily create another one somewhere else. Like if I tell you to put the hood back the way it was and move the fender forward instead, your door gap will probably get effed up. The tops of the fenders will move in and out, but it seems like that might be using another misalignment to correct the original one.

How well does the grille line up with the fender? Same on both sides?

If the car was ever hit, even lightly, you may not be able to get it exactly perfect.
        Last edited by kway; 03-27-2008, 12:09 PM.
        '84 318i - Lapisblau/Schwarz (in cryosleep)
        '06 330i - Titansilber/Schwarz

Comment

Originally posted by F|2eeSTy|e View Post
          the pass. side has a larger gap near the grill getting smaller towards the windshield, and the drivers side is opposite (larger gap near the windshield getting smaller / tighter at the grill area).
          So it seems the hood just needs to be "rotated" the other way. You have to loosen all 6 bolts at the hinges.

Comment

Working...
          X