Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing my Guibo and CSB this weekend, any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing my Guibo and CSB this weekend, any tips?

Just wanted to see if anyone can give some guidance on stuff to avoid/be ready for this weekend.

Also, I don't really want to put the car on 4 jackstands, do you guys lift the front, rear, side? Just curious.
    Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

You are getting at the very center of the vehicle. Use 4 jackstands, otherwise, you are a moron, and I hope the car falls on you.

Make sure the driveline is marked so you put it back together the same way it seperated. If you want to replace any shifter/shifter bushings, now is a great time.

Heat shield over the cats comes off easier pulling it to one side rather than straight back.
    sigpic

Comment

Make sure you install the center bearing facing the correct direction.. and forward-preload it when you reinstall the driveshaft
      Recent Rebranding!!
      Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
      E30 SM62/S62
      E30 M60 V8
      E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
      Instagram.com/garageaholic
      Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Groupie View Post
        You are getting at the very center of the vehicle. Use 4 jackstands, otherwise, you are a moron, and I hope the car falls on you.

Make sure the driveline is marked so you put it back together the same way it seperated. If you want to replace any shifter/shifter bushings, now is a great time.

Heat shield over the cats comes off easier pulling it to one side rather than straight back.
        Thanks for the info.

On a side note, get syphillis and die a slow painful death.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Nice place you fellas have here.
          anyway.
          drop the little heat sheild at the back 10mm
          then drop the main heat shield I think 13mm or 14mm
          rotate the sheild towards paseenger side to get it out.
          put the tranny in first,grab those bmw channels locks and
          loosen the centre sleeve,maybe wd40 it loosen it,work it back and forth,
          just leave it on loosely.
          goto the diff loosen but dont remove flange nuts from differential
          ,while you are at it,cover that little gas line between the tanks so you don't damage it,if the shaft were to fall.
          loosen centre hanger CSB just loose,
          loosen the guibo rotating the shaft as need to get the 19 mm in behind,
          six times basically,seem i need the wrench about 1 o'clock for nuts on the back side and about 5 o'clock 6, for bolt head on the other three.
          drop csb and pull the centre of shaft down to give you distance,wiggle waggle the guibo,nuts bolts,pull the pinion shaft out careful!
          Now take the centre sleeve and loosen right off and pull the first half out,dropping and pulling down the shaft to the front of vehicle.
          DONT WORRY ABOUT SPLITTING THE SHAFTS,THE TWO WHITE PAINT MARKS (on the front knuckle and where the spline sits in) INHERENT ON THE bimmer SHAFTS.Its coming apart anyway to replace CSB at the machine.
          shop or press.
          remove back half shaft,watch the gas line.
          Then reassemble outta the car clean up,find the white paint,line em up.

I did mark the guibo position and where the flange to diff lies.
          After I reverse the procedure and yes I mate the white dots under the car,
          when i put it back together.I have a three inch exhaust SS,never hat to drop it yet.Im an expert on shafts,seems
          1987 325IS should be 345IS
          m30,garret turbo, turbonetics wastegate
          dinan intercooler,electromotive tec2
          cartech manifold,5 speed 260/5 tranny
          3.25 final,ground control
          enough said doesnt like u joints.
          actually this weekend project is to engineer a shaft assembly for myself,using M3 shaft i think I am going that route.
          Only running 7 psi And cant keep u joints in it.Sorry for the long first post.Mister

Comment

Originally posted by Mister View Post
            Nice place you fellas have here.
            anyway.
            drop the little heat sheild at the back 10mm
            then drop the main heat shield I think 13mm or 14mm
            rotate the sheild towards paseenger side to get it out.
            put the tranny in first,grab those bmw channels locks and
            loosen the centre sleeve,maybe wd40 it loosen it,work it back and forth,
            just leave it on loosely.
            goto the diff loosen but dont remove flange nuts from differential
            ,while you are at it,cover that little gas line between the tanks so you don't damage it,if the shaft were to fall.
            loosen centre hanger CSB just loose,
            loosen the guibo rotating the shaft as need to get the 19 mm in behind,
            six times basically,seem i need the wrench about 1 o'clock for nuts on the back side and about 5 o'clock 6, for bolt head on the other three.
            drop csb and pull the centre of shaft down to give you distance,wiggle waggle the guibo,nuts bolts,pull the pinion shaft out careful!
            Now take the centre sleeve and loosen right off and pull the first half out,dropping and pulling down the shaft to the front of vehicle.
            DONT WORRY ABOUT SPLITTING THE SHAFTS,THE TWO WHITE PAINT MARKS (on the front knuckle and where the spline sits in) INHERENT ON THE bimmer SHAFTS.Its coming apart anyway to replace CSB at the machine.
            shop or press.
            remove back half shaft,watch the gas line.
            Then reassemble outta the car clean up,find the white paint,line em up.

I did mark the guibo position and where the flange to diff lies.
            After I reverse the procedure and yes I mate the white dots under the car,
            when i put it back together.I have a three inch exhaust SS,never hat to drop it yet.Im an expert on shafts,seems
            1987 325IS should be 345IS
            m30,garret turbo, turbonetics wastegate
            dinan intercooler,electromotive tec2
            cartech manifold,5 speed 260/5 tranny
            3.25 final,ground control
            enough said doesnt like u joints.
            actually this weekend project is to engineer a shaft assembly for myself,using M3 shaft i think I am going that route.
            Only running 7 psi And cant keep u joints in it.Sorry for the long first post.Mister
            Not bad for a first post mister...
            Recent Rebranding!!
            Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
            E30 SM62/S62
            E30 M60 V8
            E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
            Instagram.com/garageaholic
            Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

You can do it by jacking up the front of the car only - I did, since I ddin't have access to more than 2 jackstands. It's cramped in the back, but it can be done.
              - Sean Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
                You can do it by jacking up the front of the car only - I did, since I ddin't have access to more than 2 jackstands. It's cramped in the back, but it can be done.
                I've got 6, I wasn't worried until my uber paranoid ex-racer dad was telling me how dangerous it is to have the car up on 4 jackstands.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by FrankM E30 View Post
                  Not bad for a first post mister...
                  No kidding. Gold star. :D

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                    I've got 6, I wasn't worried until my uber paranoid ex-racer dad was telling me how dangerous it is to have the car up on 4 jackstands.
                    Did you tell him you wished a slow and painful death to someone who told you the same. lol

I will save the "syphillis" for you there ace.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                      What's dangerous about 4 jackstands? Are all 4 going to fail at the same time? How would only using 2 make that any better?

Think about it.

If you're really paranoid, use all six. Put 2 on each of the front frame rails and one one each of the rears. There is no way in fucking hell that 6 jackstands are going to fail at the same time.

Comment

I think he was just making the point known of how dangerous it is on even 4. Let alone 2.

Jackstands are a shadetree item. I don't even like being under a car while its on them if I dont have someone else over. And my stands are all capable of holding the entire car on their own. I have never known of it happening, but I know it does happen.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Groupie View Post
                          I think he was just making the point known of how dangerous it is on even 4. Let alone 2.

Jackstands are a shadetree item. I don't even like being under a car while its on them if I dont have someone else over. And my stands are all capable of holding the entire car on their own. I have never known of it happening, but I know it does happen.
                          Exactly.

The part about the syphillis was just a joke, just giving you hell back.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Is it important that the white lines line back up?

Comment

Originally posted by oo=00=oo View Post
                              Is it important that the white lines line back up?
                              Yes, otherwise the drive shaft may vibrate as its balanced together as a whole.

Also some CSB's do not need to be installed and preloaded, all of the ones that I buy have plenty of flex either direction and preloading would only damage them, so inspect the bearing after purchase to find out which one you have.

Comment

Working...
                              X