Help... how do you take apart this trunk cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help... how do you take apart this trunk cylinder

Can someone tell me how take apart the trunk cylinder ?? I took it apart up to this point but I can't get any further. It has a little spring with a stopper but I've had no luck trying to remove it. The top part has a little indentation that is holding the cap and the lower part with the spring is one solid unit.

The reason why ??? I would like to see if there is a way to take it completely apart and re-key the cylinder to use my regular key.... does anyone knows how to take that thing apart ?? thanks in advance...
    Rolando
    My73bimmer
    Deerfield bch, Florida
    1992 BMW 325i Convertible - (sold)
    2006 Mini Cooper S
    1973 BMW 2002tii (Sold) , 1988 M3 (Sold),

wtf is that?
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
      wtf is that?
      that's the trunk lock cylinder
      Rolando
      My73bimmer
      Deerfield bch, Florida
      2006 Mini Cooper S

Comment

arn't there drift pins in the recessed holes? Do they go all the way through? If so you would need to carefully punch them out. The the outer "sleeve" could be slid off the bottom, then the spring and then hopefully you would have access to the tumblers.

Comment

Take it to a lock smith.

Comment

Originally posted by Toms73NovaSS View Post
            arn't there drift pins in the recessed holes? Do they go all the way through? If so you would need to carefully punch them out. The the outer "sleeve" could be slid off the bottom, then the spring and then hopefully you would have access to the tumblers.
            I will take a look at it to see if there is any pins holding that piece together.
            thanks,
            Rolando
            My73bimmer
            Deerfield bch, Florida
            2006 Mini Cooper S

Comment

Originally posted by emi325i View Post
              Take it to a lock smith.
              I am trying to see if I can do it myself. :D I used to have a '73 2002 that I was able to rekey the doors for that car by taking the cylinder apart. That's what I am trying to accomplish with this one..
              Rolando
              My73bimmer
              Deerfield bch, Florida
              2006 Mini Cooper S

Comment

thanks Toms73NovaSS, you were right... I pushed the little pin that holds the bottom part of the cylinder with a little nail and i was able to remove the lower part.Then I remove the little spring that holds the lower part of the cylinder.

I was able to remove the sleeve that cover the cylinder and took it apart

Then I removed each one of these little guys ...since this cylinder was from another e30, it didn't work with my key. Each one of those tumblers have a number...the ones in this cylinder were #2, #3, and #4. I took them all out and started organizing them in different orders so my key will work for this cylinder but be careful since there are little springs that their main purpose is to raise the tumblers up so nobody can turn their key and open your trunk.

Once you have played around with all of them, make sure that when you insert the key, they all go flush....the reason that you want them to make them flush is to be able to allow the inner cylinder to be able to rotate. If one of those do not go all the way down, the inner cylinder will not turn freely..

Now you can ask one of your R3V buddies to let you use their keys to test if theirs turns....I tried my old '88 M3 key and it did not let me turn it....so it worked

Now you can start putting everything back together...

This spring is a pain to put it back... I am still working on it..
                Rolando
                My73bimmer
                Deerfield bch, Florida
                2006 Mini Cooper S

Comment

Glad it worked out! I have taken apart other locks but not a bmw yet. Some times when you are trying to find out which tumblers work in what order there will be 1 or two that don't line up no matter what you try. I have found that you can just eliminate those and use the ones that do fit and the lock will work just fine. Yah, you have lost a bit of security but what are the chances.... The other thing that some times works is if you have one that does not drop down flush you can take it out, file it down by how much it does stick up and it will then work.

Comment

If my trunk tumbler rotates but does not lock, what could my problem be?

Comment

Working...
                    X