engine wont start/turn over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine wont start/turn over

I was leavin for work this morning and was going over a speed bump. As I gave a little gas the car started hesitating/sputtering... I thought I just didn't give enough gas and stalled out so I tried to start the car again but no good.

When I turn the key it cranks fine and occasionally makes a half second attempt to actually turn over but fails. Spark plugs and wires are just a couple months old. I'm gonna check for spark anyway after I take my wife to work so I have a car. I guess next thing to check if there is no spark is distributor or coil? If there is one where should I look next? Fuel system?
    Or maybe somethin came loose when I went over the speed bump?

TIA
    Ryan
    Last edited by schmidty; 05-01-2008, 05:29 AM.

Check the fuel filter first. If it soutters then its getting spark but not getting fuel. Get a new filter and install it. If that doesn't do it then check the cap and rotor to make sure the contacts aren't corroded.

E30_Fiend
    Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
    Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

took a couple of light smacks at the fuel pump and fuel filter with a hammer and the car started up :D. Guess the filter got clogged when I hit the speed bump... time to replace the filter :p
      Wouldn't hurt to replace both fuel pumps to I guess..

Comment

Car sits and looks nice Schmidty

Comment

Working...
        X