engine gunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine gunk

I just adjusted my valves and noticed my motor is covered in a really gunky film. I wiped as much off of the rockers, inside of valve cover, and other easy to reach areas, but for the most part is is really kind of nasty looking. I currently use Valvoline Max life oil if it makes a difference. Does anyone know of some type of oil additive I could use to get rid of this? I have heard there is something that you put in with your oil and run for like 400 miles and then drain.
    sigpic

It sounds like you saw condensate emulsion, which would be a sign that the engine is being worked hard enough for a long enough time to boil out the condensates. There are engine cleaning additives, but more frequent oil changes and a bi-weekly highway run will pretty much accomplish the same thing. It takes at least 30 minutes at highway speed to get all of the engine into the temperature range where the condensates begin to boil off.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

If it's really bothering you, get some Auto-RX. It is expensive stuff, at $27 a bottle shipped, but it really cleans stuff up. Personally I haven't had any problems with sludging, but if I did, this is what I'd look into.

Originally posted by whysimon
      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

sea foam is really good.

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
          It sounds like you saw condensate emulsion, which would be a sign that the engine is being worked hard enough for a long enough time to boil out the condensates. There are engine cleaning additives, but more frequent oil changes and a bi-weekly highway run will pretty much accomplish the same thing. It takes at least 30 minutes at highway speed to get all of the engine into the temperature range where the condensates begin to boil off.
          this is exactly the problem. also in your owners manual, it states that after periods of city driving, you should evacuate the rocker chamber of exhaust fumes by reving up a bit... not r3ving though

sea foam doesnt address these kinds of issues.

Comment

Working...
          X