Door lock problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door lock problem

OK, its time to tap some of your knowledge.

My drivers door will not lock the doors, I have to close the drivers door then open the left rear door and reach the lock on drivers door to activate the lock system. Then in turn if I use the trunk or passengers w/key the drivers door does not disengage and have to open it seperatly with key.

Where to start looking?

Actuator seized/dead for drivers door
    Originally posted by codyep3
    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
    2010 F650gs twin
    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

will the key turn? if not, then its a tumbler problem.

if it turns, but seems like not far enough to enguage, it may be one of a couple of things wrong. Theres a finger on the tumbler thats cast, and easily broken. The other more likely is electrical, in that the actuator is dead, or not receiving the mechanical push. (i guess that would be more mechanical then huh)

In any case, youll have to pull off the interor door card and investigate. You will also have to remove the weatherstip and the window. This isnt a "fun" job but the pain in the ass youre going through isnt tolerable either. BTW, all of this is DIY level so dont be afraid to jump both feet in.

Comment

Probably the actuator (could also be wiring but not all that common) I assume you would notice if the tumbler was shot...feels fucked up with the key.

pretty straight forward to replace the actuator.

As stated above the job isn't all that hard unless you get to go removing the lock assy...That can be a bitch...especially the first five or ten you do... Then you kind of get the hang of it.

Comment

Sorry I dont think I explained myself correctly....The key does work and wil unlock all doors, just will NOT LOCK all the doors with key (drivers side) Although if I reach up from the back seat and push the lock....all will lock ??????????????????????

Comment

Originally posted by my325i View Post
            Sorry I dont think I explained myself correctly....The key does work and wil unlock all doors, just will NOT LOCK all the doors with key (drivers side)
            Same, to lock it I have to lock the car from the trunk or passenger door lock. Subscribed.

SC*AR (Schwarz Army)
            No longer stock ride height, rolling as low as a daily driver in New England should without worrying about breaking an oil pan. :up:

Comment

maybe you didnt hear us correctly, actuator. ...that or there are little white plastic bushings that fit in the holes that the connecting rods connect to - when these fall appart from dry rot, they lead to crappy door latch and lock workings.
              now go rip your door appart and report back when youve fixed it ;)

Comment

Thank you

Comment

More info: There is a sensor in the actuator (AKA door lock motor) that senses the position of the locks. This generates a "lock signal" that the central locking system uses to lock the doors.

You could test this by grounding the lock signal wire, with the door closed (or the latch closed so it thinks it is closed). The wire, found in the central lock relay below the left front speaker is either yellow/green or blue/green, IIRC.

These are the same wires you tap into to make your car have keyless entry.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Ok, My problem is similar. I cannot lock the driver's door wth the key. I pulled the whole system and the lock cylinder had a lever. It's rigid rotating counterclockwise (unlock) but hinged clockwise (lock). When I turn the key to lock the lever just pivots up and doesn't push down on the lock. I turn it the other way and the lever reaches its limit (90 deg from key) lifts the mechanism and unlocks the door. How does this system when working properly lock the door?

Central system is a whole 'nother issue. Only works from the trunk. BTW, the micro switch next to the lock cylinder DOES activate my double lock function.

Can the actuators work the locks without "sensing" the position of the locks? Cause they operate fine.

One more thing, Luke, can my alarm system be interfering with the locks?

TKS
                    "Life is hard...it's a lot harder if you're stupid."

Tom
                    72 2002
                    87 327i
                    88 525i
                    88 535i
                    03 530i

Comment

Originally posted by my325i View Post
                      Sorry I dont think I explained myself correctly....The key does work and wil unlock all doors, just will NOT LOCK all the doors with key (drivers side) Although if I reach up from the back seat and push the lock....all will lock ??????????????????????
                      micro switch on the actuator f'd or out of allignment.
                      Originally posted by codyep3
                      I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                      2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                      1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                      1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                      2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                      2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                      2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                      2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                      2010 F650gs twin
                      2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Working...
                      X