Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steering fluid lines from reservoir question, thanks

'87 325is

I am going to replace the two lines coming from the steering reservoir.

Couple of questions are:

1. I tried to cut of the original metal hose clamps, to just replace the clamps, but could not cut the original clamps. Since then I have bought the hoses to replace them too. I plan to siphon fluid from the reservoir and just cut the hose itself and then grab the hose ends and pull the hose and clamp from the reservoir bottom and connection with the steering pump and rack. I am a little concerned of damaging something by doing this, is this Ok to do, or is there a better way?

2. In general just making sure my plan is the correct way to replace the lines...

After siphoning the fluid down, I was going to turn the steering wheel to get more fluid into the reservoir and siphion it out.

Get rid of the two hoses, unbolt the reservoir bottle, try to clean as best I can the reservoir filter, attach the two new hoses to the reservoir and pump/ rack, rebolt the reservoir in place, fill reservoir with new fluid, turn steering wheel and add more as needed. Anything else to do?

Thanks a lot!

Use a dremel or a hacksaw blade to cut the band clamps. If you try to pull the hose off the reservoir without cutting the band there's a good chance of cracking the reservoir.

To clean the system after replacing the hose, fill the reservoir with fresh fluid, crank the engine and cycle the steering from lock to lock several times. Then suck the fluid from the reservoir, refill, and cycle the steering. Repeat until you've used at least a full quart of ATF (two quarts will leave the system in a cleaner state). In the future each time you change the oil, suck the fluid from the reservoir and refill with fresh for a continuous min-change.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thanks, one follow up question...

By cranking the engine, can I leave the car engine running through out the whole process of filling and sucking the fluid - just making sure to have the reservoir cap screwed on while cycling the steering? i.e. can I have the car engine running while I remove the screw cap and fill the reservoir with more fluid, or would this add air or depressurize the system and not cycle the fluid properly even when putting the cap back on before cycling the steering wheel?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X