Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing Transmission gear oil.. got MTL... now the problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Transmission gear oil.. got MTL... now the problem.

1. I followed the advise from a board member and squared off an old lugbolt.
    2. attached big vise grips.
    3. I can't break the filler loose
    4. I cant break the drain loose.
    5. Added cheater bar
    6. twisted the lug bolt

Question: How the f do I get these plugs out? I read in the Bentley some of the older transmissions had issues with these plugs seizing. I am starting to think this transmission oil hasn't been changed in this beast..ever.

So should I get a torch?

Is this normal?

The first step in getting the plugs out is to purchase the proper tool. Trying to use a lug bolt in place of the allen driver isn't likely to work if the plugs are stuck and may damage the plug. With the proper tool in hand you'll probably have to use a cheater to get enough torque to loosen the plug. Remove the fill plug first. If you can't get it out, at least you won't be sitting there with an empty transmission and no way to fill it.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I agree about getting the proper allen head socket tool. It costs around $30. Ideally I would think one might get a long enough torque wrench to have the leverage to also properly loosen and torque it back.

I don't have a long enough torque wrench, so I use a socket wrench with the allen head socket, and slip a closed end wrench over the socket wrench handle to get the leverage I need to both loosen and torque the plug.

I assume we are talking about the same thing here, my car is an '87 325is

Comment

i torched it and then I used a breaker bar with the allen socket.

Comment

You have to have the right allen driver, or you will destroy that plug. I wend out and picked one up, and then used a 3 foot breaker bar with another 2 feet of pipe on the end. Worked like a charm, and the plug still looks more or less new.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

harborfreight has a allen socket set with a 17mm allen in it. I use it and it works great. Also has lifetime warrenty since it pittsburgh.
            84' 318i m30b35 swapped!

Comment

I bought a 1/2" drive Proto 17 mm allen socket....and then found out I didn't have enough clearance in the tranny tunnel to use it!! Went to NAPA and got an L-shaped 17 mm allen wrench for less than $11. Used a closed-end wrench as a cheater bar - no problems.
              Cochran
              '88 325iC - daily driver, work in progress

Comment

autozone 9.99 for a 3 pack of sockets 12mm 14mm 17mm 20 minutes grinding down the long ass allen head. came out no problem with 1/2 drive and barely enough room to fit my 1/2" torque wrench.

Comment

Working...
                X